Should I wait for the new Dell XPS 15?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwizh

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hello Tom's Hardware community,

so I was looking into the Dell XPS 15 and I was determined to buy it untill last week when Microsoft showed off the new Dell XPS 15 with infinity display like the XPS 13.

It looks like a really nice laptop but since it's not officially announced yet it so might take a while to come out, at least until after the Windows 10 launch.

I can wait until 29 Juli but I'd like to have a new laptop by the beginning of the new school year in august.

Can anybody give me advice on wether to wait for the new XPS 15 or to just buy the current one because I am really hoping for a better GPU in the next XPS 15.

Also do you guys think it will have the new Intel Skylake CPU?

Kind regards,
Qwizh

Solution
It's going to be very close to school beginning again. Boards that support Skylake CPU's look like they will be out in August.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/skylake-motherboards-from-msi-biostar-asrock-said-to-be-coming-in-august/

Personally, I would wait for 10 to drop. Lots of new hardware usually follows large OS releases including model refreshes. Dell is also sensitive to new students starting school, so I would expect to see the new XPS 15 release with or right after Windows 10.

Aalecksie

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
Just contacted Dell. The XPS is everywhere "sold out"

NoName Goodmorning, why can't I order the Dell XPS 15?.
DellSalesRep Welcome to Dell Sales Chat, this is **, your Online Chat Sales Advisor, Hope you are doing well.
DellSalesRep Hi NoName
DellSalesRep they are out of stock and will be back after 1st week of October only
NoName Arround 5 October?
DellSalesRep probably
NoName Will it be the new model XPS?
DellSalesRep yes
NoName Oke, thanks. Then I will wait for it!

joacosegovia

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

WAIT!
If you're still waiting, keep on waiting for the new model (borderless display). The current one has some build issues. I had to call the warranty like 4 times... Plus the design will be much improved and with smaller footprint.

curt504

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
XPS15 sounds nice. But after giving myself an ulcer trying to figure out a "usability" solution to the win8's on new HW I thankfully re-discovered buying low usage used laptops off ebay. Just bought a dell E6430u (ultrabook) with the better display, I7, SSD, back lite keyboard for a whopping $349, with the very VERY usable win7.

My stomach healed, my wallet is still fat and my fingers just love win7 on decent HW without a price tag.

I'm here thus it sort of qualifies me as a knowledgeable computer users yet I know of NO operating system feature that isn't in win7 (or XP for that mater) that contains such a productivity improvement that justifies learning a completely foreign (and crazed) window metaphore. Just buy cheap lightly used older HW at toss it when it breaks prices off ebay. Why buy a maintenance agreement on a $350 business class computer?

imrazor

Distinguished

I've got to agree with curt504. I've bought three laptops in a row off eBay for gaming use. I don't buy gaming laptops, but rather workstation laptops that I "repurpose" for gaming. For some reason the prices on these laptops drop precipitously after 2-3 years, and at that point they have a higher price/performance ratio than most gaming laptops. Plus they're upgradeable...

The process is not problem-free. I've gotten duds off eBay, so I always make sure that the seller will guarantee them for at least 30 days. If a problem crops up during that time, I just return for a full refund. Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a laptop with a year or so left on the manufacturer's warranty.

jdperren

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Is the trackpad glass-smooth or sandpaper-rough on the new Dell XPS 15?

I bought my wife a Dell about six months ago. Great machine, but the trackpad feels gritty to my fingers. Great specs on this machine. Just want to make sure about the trackpad. And how is overall use of that component, in your view?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.