Should I wait for X38?

catxcat

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
I want to build a new computer,I've been searching information for 2 weeks and I just decided to buy the ASUS Striker Extreme.But I heard some news X38 will come up soon......I've seen the Asus Maximus X38 and it really attract me!I don't know if X38 support the DDR2 or not since DDR3 are pricy.I'm confused if I should wait X38,I don't want to upgrade my computer again in the next few years..........But I wonder when will the Asus Maximus X38 come up.......
Can you give me some advice?Thanks :)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The X38 will officially only support DDR3, but the manufacturers will be making DDR2 versions.

It sounds like you are going hi-end on your board, so I would wait.
If you were not going high-end, I would buy now.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Geez, i will never understand why people want to "Just wait" for the next thing.. you might as well wait for the successor to the X38 if you're going to do that. I'd Go with a P35 now.. and enjoy it NOW. why wait in the technology world, there's always something around the corner.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

There can be many situations when waiting makes since. One strong example - if :

1. One purchases or builds a new computer only once every three or four years and does not want to have to plan on doing a major overhaul later by changing the motheboard (as compared to an easy upgrade of adding memory or upgrading a graphics card) and
2. A major new chipset is coming out the supports PCIe 2.0 and a larger number of SATA ports and other enhancements that would be unavailable for three or four years if one did not wait
3. The wait were only a month or two compared to not having the enhancements for three or four years

Then it makes a lot of sense to wait - in fact it is stupid not to wait.
Oh gee - that is the situation the poster may be facing.

catxcat

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007

Absolutely!That's why I want to build a high-end.
Another question if somebody knows where will the ASUS Maximus first come up?and the price?

echelon_101

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
The only two reasons to wait for X38 are:

1. Crossfire (2x16)
2. PCI 2.0

The first isn't going to be optimal any time soon. The second is a bit more important.

Should be out tomorrow, Intel release on mondays

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Right now, there are no PCI-E 2.0 cards.
When they are released, they will fit in PCI-E 1.1 Slots.
The main limit will be the bus throughput.
This will not be an issue with the cards initially released.

Next year's cards, however, will likely be limited by the older bus.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
WAIT!!!

1st -- I must echo the concerns that there is a short wait to be at the beginning of the curve of new product rather than at the end especially if you are a seldom builder/purchaser of new technology.

2nd -- November(Black Friday) and Early Dec sales will have great prices to take advantage of.

3rd -- the P35 and the X38 chips are coming out close to each other as are the new processors. You may not overclock but the potential is there to get greater bang for your buck if you do.

Not much on the Maximus board yet but look for Andreyang[google him] (He gets ASUS boards early to test) to probably have info on it prior to its release.

I would save my $$$ for buying during the Christmas season sales. When X38 is released the P35 boards may come down in price a bit. This is part of Intel's (Tick-Tock) Strategy. Just a note, I have found that starting the 2nd week of Dec. the deals are not as great on a lot of stuff.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I find it kinda hard to believe that a PCI-E X16 slot will bottleneck one of the new cards comming out, but hey.. stranger things have happened.