[SOLVED] Should I wait or build new PC now?

vainsy

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Hi,

My current gaming rig is slowing dying so was looking at the option of building a new PC.

I was wondering if now is a good time or if I should wait for new hardware releases since I have been hearing stuff about new CPU's and GPU's coming out this year, and the fact that when I build my PC's I like them to be pretty well specced out for the time.

Regards,

Vainsy

Solution
Not so long ago, many ppl with lga775, FX and lga1155/1156 builds asked the exact same question. Buy 4th Gen Haswell or wait until 5th Gen Broadwell. Many said buy now, game happy, many said its not a long wait, just a few months, so stay miserable as Broadwell is about to release.

End result being all those who waited were miserable for months for nothing. There's always the possibility of something new and shiny around the corner, 4th gen Ryzens or 10th gen Intel, but the results are not always worth the wait.

Three choices. Upgrade now, wait until pc dies and you are forced to upgrade, hope pc lives long enough to make it to the next big thing. Personally, I'd not wait. I'd rather be happily gaming on a new pc instead of praying...
Nobody can really tell you when a good time is, generally though the best time to build is when you need it the most.
Sounds redundant, but it works out.
If you wait for the next big thing in computer hardware, you might as well wait another year and get the next next big thing, but then theres more on the horizon and so on. Waiting is generally only worthwhile right before a big launch.

You say your system is slowly dying, can you elaborate on that?
If its on its last leg then build now. If it still has some life, then wait a bit.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
It's hard to say
but if you're planning getting old components at a lower price
after big launch from Intel or AMD
mostly AMD will drop their CPU prices and come along with their chipset motherboard and so on to GPU card

Do you want a new PC now? Or wait for the next "big" thing.?
There will always be the next big thing just around the corner, and the best time to get a computer is when you need one. The new hardware doesn't matter much if your current system isn't performing..

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Ryzen 3000 was an excellent performance bump, for a good price. AMD would be doing well to match that for the next gen, unlikely to do much better.

If you're looking for a high end GPU then: AMD may be finally putting something out this year, maybe give Lisa a call on that :); rumour is that next round from Nvidia is going to be a very good bump performance wise.

SSD and NAND pricing may well go up this year.

For pricing more generally a big unknown is of course the trade war and whether the world economy will hold up - get out your crystal ball on that one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not so long ago, many ppl with lga775, FX and lga1155/1156 builds asked the exact same question. Buy 4th Gen Haswell or wait until 5th Gen Broadwell. Many said buy now, game happy, many said its not a long wait, just a few months, so stay miserable as Broadwell is about to release.

End result being all those who waited were miserable for months for nothing. There's always the possibility of something new and shiny around the corner, 4th gen Ryzens or 10th gen Intel, but the results are not always worth the wait.

Three choices. Upgrade now, wait until pc dies and you are forced to upgrade, hope pc lives long enough to make it to the next big thing. Personally, I'd not wait. I'd rather be happily gaming on a new pc instead of praying my miserable gaming experience lasts long enough to get that extra 10% performance, if it's even that much.

Solution