[SOLVED] Should i wait or purchase now because no end of price hike in sight on RTX 3080?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I am currently trying to upgrade my motherboard, cpu and gpu. I want a Asus Maximus XIII Extreme Glacial motherboard and a Intel i9 11900k cpu and a Asus RTX 3080 rog strix oc editioin GPU. Should i just purchase now because no end to price hike in sight or should i wait? I can afford either way but i dont want to make a stupid purchase so please help?
188316996_2685479051750254_1175149429786745040_n.jpg
187119526_2685479118416914_7399463330812532878_n.jpg
188514249_2685479088416917_4463436259543189666_n.jpg

Solution
The real question is: do you REALLY need that upgrade. If the answer is yes go ahead. If the answer is no don't.

If you're looking for an excuse to massively overpay hardware and you wanna rationalize why you did it, you'll end up doing it. Prices won't drop for at least another year, so yeah. Good luck keeping that compulsion at bay for a whole year lol. I'm not trying to be an a**hole I'm just being 120% real with you.

Your pc looks high end enough to me, so i would suggest to not do it. Like how much performance increase will you get by upgrading that system? 10/15%? You're basically gonna end up spending almost 4k dollars for a 10/15% increase. Does that sounds reasonable to you? And for what, mostly gaming gaining 15 fps (when...

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I'd go ahead with the motherboard and CPU, while they are available. If component shortages hit the motherboard market, like they have the GPU market, you won't be able to upgrade those, either, or you'll have to pay scalpers prices.

Bilal_24

Honorable
Jun 7, 2016
Bro I had bought a 1400p 144 Hz LG monitor last year November to upgrade my setup with the launch of RTX 3000 series / RDNA2 Lineup and once the prices hiked up, I thought I'd wait it out. First they said, the GPU shortage will be addressed in a month's time, then they said 3. Then they started to blame it all on COVID. In the end we now know it was a combination of hype created by Nvidia/AMD, the condescending tone of PC gamers towards console gamers which has made a lot of console gamers aware of PC space and they were also waiting to jump ship with the launch of new GPUs, then COVID <Mod Edit> up shipping and frieght costs, then the high demand due to Crypto...

I am no expert, but from my experience and after doing some research on stock levels for these GPUs, the stock market experts say that Q1 2022 we might see levels return to normal (assuming the crypto bubble starts to deflate by then + increase in global production + more frieght and shipping services if COVID is under control by then, i.e. no new strains occur/people are vaccinated) but bear in mind, no one is sure whether the pricing will return to normal, because Nvidia and AMD will now always charge $1000 USD or thereabouts for their 2nd tier card because they have seen people buy them when desperate. You give them no option, they have no option. These companies did the exact same thing when they fixed prices to avoid competing with each other back in early 2000s. This is a lot of ifs and Buts to wait any longer...

Lo and behold I waited 7 months for prices to drop and even now I couldn't find an RTX 3080 anywhere, which is what I wanted for better future proofing due to RT but in Australia here, once they are very scarce, 2. the only one I could find was about $700 AUD More than the RX 6800 XT which I ended up buying for a ridiculous price of $2200 AUD

My advice, don't wait, I checked around for about 1 week for a good deal on Australian sites and when one day an ad popped up from a retailer who had 6800XT for $1700 AUD I was a fool to think "I will buy it tomorrow after speaking to my brother..." and it was gone and the next cheapest model I found I bought. Don't listen to these tech tubers they get fed <Mod Edit> from these companies which they pass down (i.e. HW UnBOXED)

And I have been gaming happily ever since

Last edited by a moderator:

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
Honestly, I've been looking to upgrade my GPU, but I refuse. As long as people are willing to pay these prices, the prices will stay. The sad fact of the matter is that these corporate tycoons don't give two ****s about the welfare of the customer when it comes to their bottom-line. They're out to make money, and to that effect, taking advantage of a practical ability to price gouge is the best way to do that. The customer is always right, and they know that. However, they also know that we're stupid enough to forego our power and fork over the cash if they can manage to fool us into believing we have no choice. Of course we have a choice. If we stop buying their products, they'll go bankrupt. As soon as they start losing a substantial amount of sales, you'll see the prices lower, unless their cost matches the current prices. So, once all the factors that make their cost justify the price hikes go away, everyone needs to essentially boycott both GeForce AND Radeon until they lower the prices back down to healthy market rates. Don't be an idiot, please.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
The real question is: do you REALLY need that upgrade. If the answer is yes go ahead. If the answer is no don't.

If you're looking for an excuse to massively overpay hardware and you wanna rationalize why you did it, you'll end up doing it. Prices won't drop for at least another year, so yeah. Good luck keeping that compulsion at bay for a whole year lol. I'm not trying to be an a**hole I'm just being 120% real with you.

Your pc looks high end enough to me, so i would suggest to not do it. Like how much performance increase will you get by upgrading that system? 10/15%? You're basically gonna end up spending almost 4k dollars for a 10/15% increase. Does that sounds reasonable to you? And for what, mostly gaming gaining 15 fps (when you probably already do high enough fps in every game anyways and it won't be noticeable)?

See my rant as a sort of big brother tough love. I have nothing against ya. At the end of the day, it's your money and im nobody to tell you how to spend em. But goddamn, nearly 4k eu/dollars for that margin of improvement... oof.

Last edited:
Reactions: cincinnatus
Solution

Bilal_24

Honorable
Jun 7, 2016
I must also admit that my 980 Ti had also started to act up all funny in the last month of it's life so that kind of gave me extra motivation, however if I had a card that could game at at least 1440p 60Hz on AAA titles without glitching like my 980 Ti was, then obviously I wouldn't have upgraded. If you have a card that can game at at least 60 fps on High (Not Ultra, Ultra is super overrated) Lightining, shadows and world details, at your target resolution, then I would suggest you do not upgrade. I'm sure nothing is gonna change significantly in a year's time to make your card obsolete, then reassess your situation in a year to see if prices have dropped.

I Repeat do not upgrade if your current card can game at 60 fps+ at your target resolution at High (Not Ultra) settings.

Unless you have your mum's wallet or you <Mod Edit> money for breakfast

<Moderator Warning: You've already been warned once for profanity. Next one starts sanctions>

Last edited by a moderator:

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020

Your pc looks high end enough to me, so i would suggest to not do it. Like how much performance increase will you get by upgrading that system? 10/15%? You're basically gonna end up spending almost 4k dollars for a 10/15% increase. Does that sounds reasonable to you? And for what, mostly gaming gaining 15 fps (when you probably already do high enough fps in every game anyways and it won't be noticeable)?

See my rant as a sort of big brother tough love. I have nothing against ya. At the end of the day, it's your money and im nobody to tell you how to spend em. But goddamn, nearly 4k eu/dollars for that margin of improvement... oof.

Yeah... when you have a **** PC like mine, that's when you break out the money lol. I mean, my rig runs VR decently(and by decently, I mean I'm mostly content with 25-30 FPS on max graphics and 300% SS, even though most people would, for whatever reason, cringe at such a performance level). Honestly, I'd consider anything over $1500 upgrading my current rig to be a waste of money, because buying any higher end than a Ryzen octadeca, or RX 6700, is just overkill. I say go for the level of performance that begins to scratch the surface of "anything higher has an unnoticable impact" and stop there, unless money is simply of no object to you. Get a Ryzen 9, a Radeon RX 6700XT, and sit pretty on it for a decade or so, then spend another $2k.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
i have the loot to pretty much get the top of the line for every part if i want but i still dont want to pay 3x the amount if i dont have to. I cant even find a pc builder in my area that can do hard tubing which is what i want. The guy that did the first stage cant do the next stage. I can do it but i have never bent hard tubing so i may have to use 90 degree compression fittings to install the liquid cooling on the new parts.

TRENDING THREADS