[SOLVED] Should I wait to build

Jan 16, 2019
Hello I am doing my first PC build for gaming. My goal is to not have to update for a long time. (Hopefully 10years). I have run into a funding issue and cannot get a "good" GPU now. I have an Asus rog strix z370-e and a intel i7 8700k. I have everything needed except the GPU. Would it be wise keep everything and wait (a year maybe) or better to return and start over next year. I was supposed to be able to finish this year but family comes first.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
KEEP YOUR 8700k because they are now discontinued and it is a great processor for the money!

The best advice I can give you if funds are the limiting factor in you purchasing a graphics card is:
Purchase used off eBay from a reputable seller. This will open up doors of opportunity to hardware that you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.
Last year I purchased a MSI Duke GTX 1080ti for a great price and i'm glad I made that decision. Just make sure it's a reputable seller and that they have a money back guarantee.

ohenryy

Honorable
Probably you will be better off with AMD Ryzen... also the more cores the better if you are thinking about the future so would be wise to wait untill the next gen Ryzens from AMD 7nm come up. Rumors say it's 16 core beast...

KEEP YOUR 8700k because they are now discontinued and it is a great processor for the money!

The best advice I can give you if funds are the limiting factor in you purchasing a graphics card is:
Purchase used off eBay from a reputable seller. This will open up doors of opportunity to hardware that you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.
Last year I purchased a MSI Duke GTX 1080ti for a great price and i'm glad I made that decision. Just make sure it's a reputable seller and that they have a money back guarantee.

Solution
I agree, keep the 8700k for 2 reasons. Firstly there will always be something new in the next 6-12 months, if you keep waiting you will never buy. Unless a release is imminent it’s best to buy when you need to. Secondly the 8700k beats Ryzen for gaming. Trying to guess what will be better long term is a gamble, the only facts are current benchmarks. Some people gambled that the old AMD FX series with 6-8 cores would be better long term than Intel and they were proved wrong, single core performance is still very important and we don’t know what will happen in the future.

I am not knocking Ryzen, great range of cpu’s that offer great performance to value. Just pure gaming the 8700k wins.