[SOLVED] Should I wait to Upgrade?

Jan 22, 2020
Hi, I am currently torn between upgrading my gpu or waiting my current setup has got a gtx 1080 founder edition with the new consoles coming out this year i'm either going to buy one of those or a new gpu. im just wondering if my gpu would last around another year.
My current setup has got -
Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING Intel Socket 1151
Processor - Intel core i7 9700k 8 cores @ 5.0GHz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition 8GB
Ram - HyperX 32GB DDR4 3100Mhz

Solution
Your card is still more than powerful, you should buy a console if you want, your PC will run any game well at 1080p/1440p for a few years. I wouldn't worry about an upgrade. You should wait until the next skew of NVIDIA GPUs come out which might be in two years or so.

Actually, the new generation of NVIDIA cards is expected this year. We should see new cards (possible an RTX3080 and RTX3070) in the second half of this year. But I would wait for those at least. There are rumors of decent performance boost at lower prices due to the new AMD competition. The big Navi (which will for sure beat the RTX 2080 Super and maybe even the RXT 2080 Ti) is expected and confirmed for this year as well.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Your card is still more than powerful, you should buy a console if you want, your PC will run any game well at 1080p/1440p for a few years. I wouldn't worry about an upgrade. You should wait until the next skew of NVIDIA GPUs come out which might be in two years or so.

mjbn1977

Distinguished

Actually, the new generation of NVIDIA cards is expected this year. We should see new cards (possible an RTX3080 and RTX3070) in the second half of this year. But I would wait for those at least. There are rumors of decent performance boost at lower prices due to the new AMD competition. The big Navi (which will for sure beat the RTX 2080 Super and maybe even the RXT 2080 Ti) is expected and confirmed for this year as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldcracc
Solution