[SOLVED] Should I water cool an Msi Rtx 3090?

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Wondering if it's worth it? I will be going from the 3 fan setup to a 360mm rad using an ekwb block. 3 fan to 3 fan...
The cost isn't an issue just the effort.

Solution
It's not just 3 fans vs 3 fans lol. It's 3x 60mm fans vs 3x 120mm fans, it's the sum of the area of the heatsinks (gpu cooler vs 360mm rad) , it's the efficiency quotient offered by the differences.

There's a very large difference overall in ability. Going oversized won't exactly mean temps could be very different, gpu boost will pump up the output when challenged, so you'll be running faster for equitable temps. If you happen to hit the ceiling, that's when you'll see a real temp difference.

As for noise, it's 3x fans covering a little over 2800mm each vs 3x fans covering a little over 11k mm each, in area. Speeds will be able to be considerably slower, therefore quieter.
Wondering if it's worth it? I will be going from the 3 fan setup to a 360mm rad using an ekwb block. 3 fan to 3 fan...
The cost isn't an issue just the effort.

You could, but whether it's worth it or not depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to make your PC quieter? Are you trying to get cooler temperatures for better overclocking? Do you just want your PC to 'look cool' because everything's watercooled?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not just 3 fans vs 3 fans lol. It's 3x 60mm fans vs 3x 120mm fans, it's the sum of the area of the heatsinks (gpu cooler vs 360mm rad) , it's the efficiency quotient offered by the differences.

There's a very large difference overall in ability. Going oversized won't exactly mean temps could be very different, gpu boost will pump up the output when challenged, so you'll be running faster for equitable temps. If you happen to hit the ceiling, that's when you'll see a real temp difference.

As for noise, it's 3x fans covering a little over 2800mm each vs 3x fans covering a little over 11k mm each, in area. Speeds will be able to be considerably slower, therefore quieter.

Solution