Should I water cool my 7950?

LeoMatrix

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hi :hello:
So the title says it, should I cool my radeon hd 7950? I've planning to start water cool my system (in the signature) with a full loop. However, I don't know if it's worth to water cool the 7950. It will be hard to sell a watercooled card when I want to upgrade. So i'm thinking if I should sell the 7950 and buy a 7970 ghz or 680 and start water cool. What do you guys think? :)

Solution
Hi,

If you're already planning to watercool your CPU then adding the GPU in the loop would make sense providing you had enough radiator to handle the extra heat.

If you only wanted to watercool the graphics card then a high end after-market air cooler would do the same job and be alot cheaper.

I think watercooling is only really worth the cost if you want a very quiet computer and you also want to overclock, otherwise an after-market air heatsink either with the fans on low (for quietness) or the fans on high (for best performance) would suit your needs and be alot cheaper.
Hi,

If you're already planning to watercool your CPU then adding the GPU in the loop would make sense providing you had enough radiator to handle the extra heat.

If you only wanted to watercool the graphics card then a high end after-market air cooler would do the same job and be alot cheaper.

I think watercooling is only really worth the cost if you want a very quiet computer and you also want to overclock, otherwise an after-market air heatsink either with the fans on low (for quietness) or the fans on high (for best performance) would suit your needs and be alot cheaper.

Solution

LeoMatrix

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

That's not what i'm asking. I'd like to hear opinions about should I water cool the 7950 or upgrade to 7970 ghz then start cooling. Yes i'm building the whole lope (cpu+gpu). Yes, I'm going overclock.

Ok, well I don't think the HD7970Ghz is worth the extra money, especially considering that you will be overclocking. At the end of the day it's your money though. ;)