[SOLVED] should i watercool my build

Jul 12, 2020
so i plan on doing a new pc build in the coming months.
10900k,rtx3080 super (whatever its called), 2x 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, samsung g7 32" monitor, asus tuf z490 plus wifi motherboard, corsair hx1000i, 2x16gb 3200 mhz ram looking at corair vengence lpx ram as it has no rgb. corsair 680x, corsair commander pro fan controller, das 4 pro cherry mx blue keyboard, corsair dare core se mouse, corsair mm1000 mouse pad,
it will be used for gaming, and movies, as well as everyday searching online. i know its overkill but every 8-9 years i build the best i can and make it last 8-9 years.
now im looking into water cooling. but im not sure if i should just stick with a noctua nh-d15 air cooler and populate all the fan locations with noctua fans in the case. i dont overclock at all but i keep thinking i should so i dont want to replace cooling if i decide to. i know a d15 can handle abit of overclocking for a 10900k easily so. but theres all kinds of people hyped about watercooling.
i want something reliable and easy to repair replace if necessary. im not a big fan of aio because if the pump breaks 4-5 years down the road i have to replace the whole unit and that is not cost effective. custom water loops are of a concern because i hear there is lots of maintence, and risk of leaks etc, plus alot of the watercooling components now all have rgb on them like the pump, res, cpu block, gpu block, its like i cant get away from rgb. what do you all think

Jul 30, 2020
I am really new to all this, so it's just my opinion, definitely not speaking from experience.
Custom water loops to me seem like something that is fairly unnecessary, but are more for the look and enjoyment of designing and building one. Water cooling is quieter than Air, so I don't know if that is something you are worried about, but if it is, that's another nod towards Water.
It is definitely a commitment, I am preparing myself to do my first Water cooling loop soon, and it is definitely making me nervous with all the things that could go wrong!
Anyway, probably not that helpful, just an opinion :)

Reactions: truckerlenny1990

USAFRet

Titan
Water cooling is quieter than Air, so I don't know if that is something you are worried about, but if it is, that's another nod towards Water.
Actually, that is not a given.

I have a Cryorig A80, and it is a bit louder than the earlier CoolerMaster 212 Plus it replaced.
"louder" = only if you really concentrate.

But there are more moving parts. Fans on the rad, pump, and the liquid moving through the pipes and rad.

A custom liquid loop is almost 100% a hobby thing.

Terry1978

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
so i plan on doing a new pc build in the coming months.
10900k,rtx3080 super (whatever its called), 2x 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, samsung g7 32" monitor, asus tuf z490 plus wifi motherboard, corsair hx1000i, 2x16gb 3200 mhz ram looking at corair vengence lpx ram as it has no rgb. corsair 680x, corsair commander pro fan controller, das 4 pro cherry mx blue keyboard, corsair dare core se mouse, corsair mm1000 mouse pad,
it will be used for gaming, and movies, as well as everyday searching online. i know its overkill but every 8-9 years i build the best i can and make it last 8-9 years.
now im looking into water cooling. but im not sure if i should just stick with a noctua nh-d15 air cooler and populate all the fan locations with noctua fans in the case. i dont overclock at all but i keep thinking i should so i dont want to replace cooling if i decide to. i know a d15 can handle abit of overclocking for a 10900k easily so. but theres all kinds of people hyped about watercooling.
i want something reliable and easy to repair replace if necessary. im not a big fan of aio because if the pump breaks 4-5 years down the road i have to replace the whole unit and that is not cost effective. custom water loops are of a concern because i hear there is lots of maintence, and risk of leaks etc, plus alot of the watercooling components now all have rgb on them like the pump, res, cpu block, gpu block, its like i cant get away from rgb. what do you all think
I have build a pc in 2013 put in a h100 corsair .... in 2018 i took it out and installed the H110i !!! conlcusion i dont think my cpu has ever been over 65c running at 3900 Ghz 5 hours evry day . Its realy a roll of dice when it comes down to aio but why risk it and keep it for over 5 years running .