Question Should I Wipe All Paritions Before Installing Fresh Windows Installation?

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
When trying to install a fresh windows installation onto my drive which previously had windows installed, I got an error during the windows install process saying that it couldn't install the OS on the requested partition. What I did prior to this attempt was setup the windows USB installation media and booted into it. When it took me to the drive selection screen to say where I wanted to install the OS I selected my drive with the previous windows OS installed on it and hit "Format" thinking this would wipe the drive and be good to go. However, after formatting and selecting this drive this is when Windows said it couldn't install on it. I'm now in my other windows OS installation (dual boot machine) and looking at the drive I want to install the fresh Windows OS on (Disk 1):

My question is do I need to completely wipe all partitions on the drive for Windows to install correctly? Meaning the EFI system partition and the Recovery partition? So just have one formatted partition going into the windows installation process?

USAFRet

Titan
For a fresh OS install, you delete all partitions during the install process.

Read through this...

TRENDING THREADS