Should I Wipe HDD?

supermantroll

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
Hello, I've been having MAJOR Problems with my computer and been receiving BSOD for the past 6 months and I've been getting tired of it. The problem all started when I changed CPU's.
So I was just wondering if I clean wipe my hard drive will the BSOD problem keep happening? I just want to know before hand so I don't waste my time. And is it a safe thing to do to clean wipe? and whats the best free program to wipe a hard drive. And I'm currently on Windows 7.

Solution
You can also use the CHKDSK command,
Press windows key + X which brings up a drop down menu.
Then press "A" key for the Administrative command prompt.

Simply running the CHKDSK command in Windows 10 will only display the disk’s status, and won’t fix any errors present on the volume. To tell CHKDSK to fix the drive, you will need to give it parameters. After your drive letter, type the following parameters separated by a space each: “/f /r /x”.

For example: chkdsk C: /f /r /x
“/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds.
“/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors.
“/x” forces the drive to dismount before the process starts.
Hmm, wiping the HDD won't help, especially not if the HDD is the culprit!
It may be a driver thing, in which case a fresh install on a formatted hard drive may solve the problem.
(This might be what you meant by "wipe" but we don't wipe hard drives unless we have critical information that must never be recovered)
It could be that the HDD is actually going bad, losing important bits of information causing the system to fail.

I'd like to say try the fresh install of windows, but that is a lot of work to do on a hunch.

Do you know what the BSOD error is? Can you check Event Viewer for critical errors?

It's possible you accidentally bent socket or CPU (depending on Intel or AMD) pins... So, check the pins... if they look ok,.. If you still have the old CPU, try it on to see if the problem stops.

If it is the HDD, Hard Disk Sentinel should find the specific causes.
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

If it should be drivers or Windows issues, BluScreenView should find the dumpfile and report the error codes
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You can also use the CHKDSK command,
Press windows key + X which brings up a drop down menu.
Then press "A" key for the Administrative command prompt.

Simply running the CHKDSK command in Windows 10 will only display the disk’s status, and won’t fix any errors present on the volume. To tell CHKDSK to fix the drive, you will need to give it parameters. After your drive letter, type the following parameters separated by a space each: “/f /r /x”.

For example: chkdsk C: /f /r /x
“/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds.
“/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors.
“/x” forces the drive to dismount before the process starts.

Solution