Should i wipe out Xp on my Inspiron 8200???

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i dont really like xp and our entire network is 2k. should i wipe out xp and install 2k? if i have problems, i could just run the restore disk that comes with the laptop, right? does anyone know of any issues with the dell inspiron 8200 and 2k prof? do you think performance will be better with xp?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, the servers are 2k, but i installed all the system tools from the resource kits stc..... we'll see how that works....

verteronar

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
What don't you like about XP? You can change the appearance to look like win2k,(start menu prop. & display prop/appearance) and it is better in most areas. The core is really the same, so networking should be uneffected, just the interface. You should check for win2k drivers before attempting, or you are in for a big waste of time.

Nar

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
yeah, i'm liking it better.... i just figured out the compatibility mode stuff. man, what a difference!!!! anyway, what do you mean about 2k drivers? for what? oh, you are assuming that im gonna wipe it out.... yeah, ive decided against that. xp is ok by me now that ive discovered compat mode. : )