[SOLVED] Should I worry about a M.2 ssd disabling two sata ports?

Jul 3, 2020
I'm building a new pc and am getting the MSI b450 Tomahawk Max(it has 6 sata ports). Apparently if I try to use a M.2 ssd in my build two sata ports are disabled. For storage, all I will be using is the M.2 ssd and two other storages that use sata. Should I even worry about this? Will I be fine without two? (The M.2 ssd is the Western Digital Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 SSD. The other storage is the Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD, and some random 1TB HD from walmart).

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
As long as you don’t need to use them, then you’re good. For my system, I use the two extra sata ports and not the m.2 port Because I got and use a bunch of higher capacity sata SSDs for the bulk of my storage rather than high capacity m.2s.

Jul 3, 2020
As long as you don’t need to use them, then you’re good. For my system, I use the two extra sata ports and not the m.2 port Because I got and use a bunch of higher capacity sata SSDs for the bulk of my storage rather than high capacity m.2s.
No, I actually switched out my motherboard to the B550 coming out soon, and it has two M.2 Ports. I will be using two NVME M.2 ssd's instead of the sata. But I will use one sata port for my current Hard Drive. The new motherboard still has 6 sata ports. So I think I will be fine. Thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY