Should I worry about my CPU's warranty?

Jul 16, 2013
Hey guys,

I bought a new CPU fan for my AMD FX-8120 CPU, but I noticed that the 3 year warranty on my CPU's manual says that it is void if I take off the stock fan. But it seems to be running find after a month of use (knock wood). The only thing I have noticed is that my temperatures have been going up lately by a few degrees, but the weather has been getting hotter too, so is this anything to worry about?

But my main question is: Should I hesitate to void my warranty by installing a new fan? My temps are generally between 35-45 idle with the stock fan, and s I'm thinking adding a new Hyper 212 evo may make it last longer as well.

Solution
The real question is, if you remove the fan, by what means do you think the manufacturer can tell whether you have removed the fan or not?

The same applies for overclocking. Generally, if you have bought the CPU as a separate component, in a box, with a fan, then for warranty its returned in the same manner. That means that the place of purchase really has little way of knowing what environment its in. Was it covered in dust? Who knows. Was it installed along with its original fan? Cant tell that either.

If the fan is a normal style mounted one, and unless the fan is soldered on or something, so that someone could tell if you removed it, I would say that no-one would be any wiser.

wasabi-warrior

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
The real question is, if you remove the fan, by what means do you think the manufacturer can tell whether you have removed the fan or not?

The same applies for overclocking. Generally, if you have bought the CPU as a separate component, in a box, with a fan, then for warranty its returned in the same manner. That means that the place of purchase really has little way of knowing what environment its in. Was it covered in dust? Who knows. Was it installed along with its original fan? Cant tell that either.

If the fan is a normal style mounted one, and unless the fan is soldered on or something, so that someone could tell if you removed it, I would say that no-one would be any wiser.

Solution