[SOLVED] Should I worry about VRM quality with a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X?

Most Worrisome

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
Bear with me please, I don't know a lot about motherboards.

I'm thinking of a Ryzen 3600 or maybe a 3700X and had my eye on the MSI X570 Gaming Edge as a motherboard. But then I saw that Hardware Unboxed comparison video showing that pretty much all the cheaper MSI X570 boards have poor VRMs, resulting in high temperatures and even some thermal throttling.

Sounds pretty dire, but that test was done with a 3900X and I'm looking to buy a 3700X at most. So does it really concern me? Do "bad" VRMs run hotter with any processor, or does the problem only begin to show once you hit high-end CPUs?

Solution
Bad VRMs are less thermally efficient meaning more of the power they take in is turned into heat. This will happen regardless of the load on them so yes if a board has known bad VRMs it will heat up no matter what CPU you are using however a higher TDP will increase the effect

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
VRM temps would likely be a bit lower with a 3700x vs a 3900x in that msi board, not sure exactly how much. I have also seen that video, was quite surprised. Given that info I would personally spring for the ASUS board Steve recommended or better regardless of processor, especially if you plan to do a bit of cpu overclocking.

Bad VRMs are less thermally efficient meaning more of the power they take in is turned into heat. This will happen regardless of the load on them so yes if a board has known bad VRMs it will heat up no matter what CPU you are using however a higher TDP will increase the effect

Solution

Most Worrisome

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016

Yeah, that was my main concern. If even lower-tier CPUs make it run hotter than other boards, then I'm not comfortable with that.

VRM temps would likely be a bit lower with a 3700x vs a 3900x in that msi board, not sure exactly how much. I have also seen that video, was quite surprised. Given that info I would personally spring for the ASUS board Steve recommended or better regardless of processor, especially if you plan to do a bit of cpu overclocking.

That's probably what I will end up doing, or maybe the Aorus Elite. Or maybe I'll just procrastinate on the decision until the B550 motherboards show up and get confused all over again. :D

Save some money and get a better board with a b450 pro carbon - good vrm

Good idea, but all the local retailers seem to be out of the B450 Pro Carbon.