[SOLVED] Should motherboard be hatched onto IO Shield?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hi,

I'm attempting to install my motherboard but the IO shield seems to be pushing it out. I could hold it with my hand and screw it I to the motherboard stands to force it in but is this bad?

Thank You

Solution
Hi thank you for your reply.

I have attempted to insert the IO shield properly but only managed to get the two middle sides in. The smaller opposite ends of the io shield still sticks out but I am able to secure the motherboard on without any problem.

Will this be a problem in the future?

Thank You
Leaving it as-is will put more pressure on some of the connectors than usual. But while it probably won't be a problem it's also hard to say with certainty.

It can be a bit difficult to pop it in sometimes, but if you absolutely can not suggests the cut-out in the case isn't the correct dimension....possibly from an extra thick coating of paint. I'd have trimmed it before assembly with a metal file...or even just scraping the...
On most backplate shields there are small spring fingers that will contact the metal shields on the motherboard connectors. Those springy fingers will push back on the board until you install and tighten the mounting screws.

Just make certain the shield is oriented so that all the connectors on the motherboard align with holes on the shield and are going inside them and you'll be fine. Also make sure the backplate shield is fully inserted into the case cutout.

Reactions: VERSION_1583

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
On most backplate shields there are small spring fingers that will contact the metal shields on the motherboard connectors. Those springy fingers will push back on the board until you install and tighten the mounting screws.

Just make certain the shield is oriented so that all the connectors on the motherboard align with holes on the shield and are going inside them and you'll be fine. Also make sure the backplate shield is fully inserted into the case cutout.

I have attempted to insert the IO shield properly but only managed to get the two middle sides in. The smaller opposite ends of the io shield still sticks out but I am able to secure the motherboard on without any problem.

Thank You

Thank You
Leaving it as-is will put more pressure on some of the connectors than usual. But while it probably won't be a problem it's also hard to say with certainty.

It can be a bit difficult to pop it in sometimes, but if you absolutely can not suggests the cut-out in the case isn't the correct dimension....possibly from an extra thick coating of paint. I'd have trimmed it before assembly with a metal file...or even just scraping the paint off if that's the case.

If you do decide to trim the ends with a metal file so it fits better you'll need to competely remove the motherboard and other parts. You need to thoroughly clean out the fine metal dust that filing will leave behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: VERSION_1583
Solution