Question Should my computer be running at 60-80 FPS while gaming?

Aug 14, 2020
Okay so, I just built my rig about a week or two ago and I'm noticing while gaming at 165 HZ that I'm getting significantly lower FPS than with my old rig. I'm not getting more than 80 FPS and my average FPS is about 60-70 ish. I have a pretty decent rig so I should get at LEAST 100-120 FPS you would think (I posted my specs down below) as my old rig gave me 120-130 FPS ish while gaming in 165 HZ. and it was a 9th gen system with lower specs.

I don't have my RTX 2080 Super overclocked but ASUS did overclock it for me and obviously my Monitor is overclocked. I also overclocked the ram to 2800 mhz (although It's supposed to be able to run default on dual channel at 3200 mhz but I cannot overclock the ram anymore it's already running at around 1.52 volts. But, ram isn't going to make much of a difference on my FPS anyway.)

I don't have my processor overclocked either (I'm afraid to because I'm using intels crappy stock heatsink at the moment because I couldn't afford to run it on water, I'll be making payments on my rig until at least novemberish) but I didn't overclock my old 9th gen processor either (Forgive me I forget what it was a 9700k maybe? But, I forget) and I was running my old processor on water.

I'm kind of stumped as to why my FPS is so low because this system is much better than my old one, the only part that I used from my old rig is my 2080 super. So, no clue as to why my FPS are so low. All of my parts are running at half decent temps so that can't be it, just no clue. Could be my monitor uses more juice from my video card than my old one? Maybe. Idk. Just... stumped any help?

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-10700
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
HDD: Western Digital 4TB Blue I believe?
GPU: ASUS ROG RTX 2080 Super
Monitor: ASUS VG27AQ
RAM: 64 GB G.Skill Trident-Z series

Game I'm trying to Play:

World of Warcraft, Crysis 3, WItcher 3, and Skyrim.

Last edited:
Install MSI Afterburner with the Riva Tuner option checked. Then enable OSD (on screen display). So, you can see what clocks, temps and load everything is running at. In the OSD options check every core. To see a break down of all of them.

The 10700 runs pretty hot on full turbo boost. You may be experiencing lower clock rates than the 9700K. Due to the differences in cooling. Very few games make use of more than eight threads.

While the 10700 is better on paper. You may be experiencing worst real world performance. Due to those cooling differences. You need to run the games for a while to get temps up. As you'll get full turbo until temps rise. Then it could start dropping.

You don't need a fancy water cooler either. As long as your case has good airflow. You can use a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B/C or Thermalright Macho direct. Which should achieve performance similar to a decent 240mm liquid. It's really in the 280/360mm coolers where you achieve performance appreciably better than big air. There are a few 240mm which are better than big air.

Edit: The stock cooler is probably a 65W cooler for a 65W CPU (base clock, PL1). But the i7-10700 has a 224W PL2 value. Meaning at full turbo on all cores it may go to the 220W range.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020
Now that you mention it it could be the CPU I agree with you. I just checked my CPU temps and they're about 65-80C on load I checked on HW Monitor. I believe my old processors temps didn't go over 40C max on a corsair h150i. When I bought the 10700 it had pretty much just became available on newegg so it also didn't say any water coolers supported LGA 1200 either at the time so that's another reason I didn't buy one. I actually spent like 3-4 weeks sending parts back and forth to Newegg before I actually got the system working. Had to send back a CPU and motherboard. 10th gen is rather new and only 3 months oldish so I thought finding luxury stuff for 10th gen would be quite complicated anyway. I chose the 10700 because it was the only Processor Newegg or Amazon had in stock at the time. I had actually wanted an i9-10900k. AFAIK Newegg still doesn't have the i9-10900k and they're usually the best/cheapest company to go with. Running it on water would improve those temps significantly so maybe I'll invest the money and do that. I'll look up the coolers you're suggesting and see how expensive they are.

My GPU is running between 55 and 75C at absolute max average temp is about 60C so that's not bad. I actually had higher GPU temps on my old rig and it used more of the GPU (like 68%, it's using 39% now which is weird shouldn't 165 hz 1440P be using more the 2080 Super's power?)

Anyway, I'll DL MSI afterburner and do what you said and get back to you.

Aug 14, 2020
I ran MSI afterburner for about 20 minutes in WoW after I figured out how to use it. (Which is an easy game to get a high frame rate in at 144 hz I usually get 150 FPS avg in it so I figured it'd be a good game to test) and this is my results:

KpJXOso.jpg

I noticed when going into high pop areas (It's an online game) My FPS dropped to an average of 50 Usually I get at least 110-120 ish. I didn't stay in the high pop areas long and mostly stayed in areas where I knew I'd get a high FPS and still my average was 69 FPS. Quite low. I like how HWmonitor lied also most of the time my GPU usage was between 80 and 98% so my video card is being taxed quite hard by a game you can play with a microwave oven (seriously it doesn't take much of a rig to play World of Warcraft on Max settings). But, it's okay I plan on Buying a RTX 3080 or maybe a 3080 TI when they come out in Sept-November ish and selling my 2080 super to help with the cost (whatever it will be). So a 3080 should be able to handle 165 HZ quite well.

Highest CPU temp was 82c at 23% load and highest GPU temp was 73C. So I might maybe try to consider buying something for my 3080 as well. So yeah... I'm thinking you're right and I need a new cooler. That is probably why I'm getting significantly lower frames than before. Only thing that could be it really.

I'm thinking if this doesn't work maybe I should go down to 144hz for now.

Played the Witcher 3 for about an hour just for the hell of it. My CPU temps were always 73-75c under 16-18% CPU load. And my GPU temps were in the mid 70's being stuck at 99% GPU load almost all the time. Starting to massively suspect somethings going on here.

Last edited: