[SOLVED] Should my graphics card act this way after a new fan introduced?

David Terry

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I added a new fan to my computer's side wall, leaving with two fans (front and side) blowing air in and two fans (back and top) blowing air out. Everything seemed to be going well, but when I go into my radeon overlay to check my GPU's temps, it shows it's getting hotter now despite the fan blowing in on it. What's more, the smart fan system for my GPU is working differently. It's suppose to turn on when the temps reach 50C (which it does) and stay on. But, now it's turning off around 69-70 degrees. I had my computer hit 78C (which yes, I know is fine levels, but I'm more concerned about the fans turning off when it's warmer).

Solution
One would think so (about the Radeon apps working in sync) but is your card and AMD brand (doubtful) or another brand? They use their own firmware that causes odd behavior with your setup (as fan as fan responses). And no, not suggesting you take the side panel of the case off. I am just saying that many cases have openings in strategic places in the side panel specifically for video card air intake, without the need for an extra fan.
The fans on the GPU may be reading from a different sensor than what you are reading from you app. The cold air coming in is likely throwing off their behavior. I have never been a big "fan" of side fans. Back when I would do fan testing, side fans usually didn't do much more than create extra noise. What can work well isventilation close to where the video card is, so that the fans on the card are sucking in cold air, and not hot air from the CPU or the power supply (depending on your setup).

David Terry

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
What can work well is ventilation close to where the video card is, so that the fans on the card are sucking in cold air, and not hot air from the CPU or the power supply (depending on your setup).

It might be me just waking up, but I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. are you suggesting I open up the side panel and leave it open, or are you saying that I should reverse the fan so it sucks out the hot air insted of blowing cold air in?

Also, both GPU's are Radeon and so is the app. Shouldn't they work in tandem regardless of the gpu's sensor?

Last edited:
One would think so (about the Radeon apps working in sync) but is your card and AMD brand (doubtful) or another brand? They use their own firmware that causes odd behavior with your setup (as fan as fan responses). And no, not suggesting you take the side panel of the case off. I am just saying that many cases have openings in strategic places in the side panel specifically for video card air intake, without the need for an extra fan.

Last edited:
Solution
One would think so (about the Radeon apps working in sync) buy us your card and AMD brand (doubtful( or another brand? They use their own firmware that causes odd behavior with your setup (as fan as fan responses). And no, not suggesting you take the side panel of the case off. I am just saying that many cases have openings in strategic openings in the side panel specifically for video card air intake from the outside, without the need for an extra fan.

I think hardware unboxed did a recent review where the 5700XT had a serious ROM problem with the Fan kicking in. I think it was the THICC series. Once it kicked in, everything was well and it operated the way it was supposed to after a couple minutes of cooling down.

BTW: A side fan always enhanced my cooling performance. I have a 5700XT with a reference blower fan and have yet to exceed 70C average @ 1440p with the highest settings. But I undervolt and cap my frame rate to 60 fps. (I think my highest junction temp has been in low 90's (91/92C)

On my big tower the 7970GHz never exceeded 75C and my 580 Armor has yet to exceed 70C using a 140mm High Airflow fan pointed right at it.

David Terry

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I sent the fan back just in case there was a problem with it. I also went into radeon and removed the games tht were showing higher than average temps. They are running cooler now without those performance settings (that honestly weren't doing anything to improve them).