Should my PC be performing better?

May 12, 2013
Hi guys

I built a pretty sweet gaming PC a year ago and added some new parts a month ago. I feel like with what i have, i should be able to run games a lot better... Maybe i'm being paranoid but this is the best place to get good advice.

My build is as follows:

I7 3770 3.4ghz
Corsair 850w Gold Standard PSU
16gb Ram
120gb SSD
2gb Hybrid HDD
HD7950 Sapphire Vapor X
R9 280x

I know the crossfire with the 2 GPU's would mean the R9 would scale down to match the 7950 so we'll say i have 2 x 7950's.

My paranoia has stemmed mainly from Cyrsis 3 and Tomb Raider. Tomb raider for example, i can play with all max settings except the shadows which are on medium and AA which i have set on 2xSSAA. This gives me a solid 60fps on 1080p (while it drops substantially during cutscenes, not sure why). And then Crysis 3 i have at max with Motion blur on medium and no AA at all. This gives me also, 60fps on 1080p but if i turn AA on, that drops.

While i understand AA is an incredibly taxing feature, would you not think with a system like mine, i could easily run it? I'm just wondering whether i should expect to get better performance from my build. Any suggestions on how to increase performance would be appreciated. Even if it means replacing my HD7950 with a second R9 280x.

Both are DX11 games, which seem to take a stupid amount of FPS away when you enable AA. Using SSAA really isn't going to help your framerate because rather than get rid of jaggies it basically renders the image at a higher resolution, applies aliasing to that then downscales it, its easily the most demanding form of anti-aliasing (though undoubtedly the best).

Anyway, you are at 1080p, you'd see better scaling at a higher resolution, too much card not enough res.

May 12, 2013

So you think what i'm getting is what should be expected with my build then?