[SOLVED] Should my rx 5700 xt have its fans on

TheShanachie

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
I just installed an gigabyte rx 5700 xt into a new pc. I started playing Skyrim on ultra graphics settings which it seemed to handle so well, but the fans didn’t turn on at all. I’ve never had a graphics card like this and it was around 50-60% usage in task manager but I don’t know if I’m wearing it out should the fans be on do they turn on when they need to?

Solution
Have you used the on-screen Performance Monitoring that the Radeon drivers provide while in-game?

By default, it's CTRL-SHIFT-O to toggle Performance Monitoring on and off. If the temperature doesn't go above a certain threshold, the fans will stay off. I think it's 60° C when the fans will turn on.

Lutfij

Titan
Exit the game and then see if the fans turn on during system power up as well as during benchmarking runs(like 3D Mark's Timespy or Cinebench.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How is the airflow in your case? Ambient room air temps?

poorbugger

Distinguished
It depends on the temps. Skyrim is quite an old game for the gpu so the temps may not reach the threshold for it to activate the fans. You can set up a fan curve using msi afterburner if you are not comfortable with that. Personally, i set 10% fan for 40 degrees and below.

TheShanachie

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x
Motherboard:MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
SSD/HDD:Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis:Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

I have a fan running outside of my computer with a AC at about 72 degrees

TheShanachie

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
It depends on the temps. Skyrim is quite an old game for the gpu so the temps may not reach the threshold for it to activate the fans. You can set up a fan curve using msi afterburner if you are not comfortable with that. Personally, i set 10% fan for 40 degrees and below.
Could you walk me through on how I would do that

TheShanachie

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
My GPU fans won’t turn on at all even when playing Skyrim at ULtra graphics settings

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x
Motherboard:MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
SSD/HDD:Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis:Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

I have a fan running outside of my computer with a AC at about 72 degrees. MSi afterburner doesn’t turn it on even when I set it to 100% then apply

TheShanachie

Commendable
Aug 2, 2020
Exit the game and then see if the fans turn on during system power up as well as during benchmarking runs(like 3D Mark's Timespy or Cinebench.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How is the airflow in your case? Ambient room air temps?
The fans turn on when I power down, but They don’t during power up.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Have you used the on-screen Performance Monitoring that the Radeon drivers provide while in-game?

By default, it's CTRL-SHIFT-O to toggle Performance Monitoring on and off. If the temperature doesn't go above a certain threshold, the fans will stay off. I think it's 60° C when the fans will turn on.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS