Should NVidia be worried?

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
With the new R series gpu's coming out and having a good price/performance in comparison to NVidia; coupled with their new API that is coming out - Mantle. Should NVidia be worried? Also to add on to all of this news with the fact that they have the consoles running on GCN.

I've heard of the Maxwell architecture they're working on, but I'm dubious. I guess it's pointless trying to determine what the future will hold, but it doesn't sound good

With all this news to be honest i would sell my 770 if the fan didn't click. I could get my old 7950 crossfire back for about 350$. Especially with black Friday so close.

worried? no they still have major market power. What to expect? Nvidia is forced to build better gpus for the consumer in order to match performance at a later date. Letting the company with a lower stock value do well is probably more healthy for consumers as it now makes competitors more wary of incoming performance and drives them to make better products, or drop off the face of the earth(which nvidia isnt going to do, so the former is the likely outcome)

Not even slightly, the new AMD release is probably the best thing to ever happen to Nvidia. Since its all just rebranded stuff, they can make more money of Maxwell. If the 280X had of been say double the speed of a 770 for the same price, Nvidia would have had to shift their cards down, selling cards for less money to be competitive.

No, nVidia isn't worried. They're the market leader (because people are dumb and fall for stupid marketing tricks) and it's not like they're going to go out of business anytime soon. They've been in this position before (remember how the HD 5870 and HD 5970 slaughtered the GTX 285 and GTX 295?) and they'll rebound with something else. As long as they have their fanboys, their position is secure.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
I'm an AMD GPU fanboi, but no, they shouldn't be worried. It's not like every dev is going to jump into Mantle just because consoles and half of PCs are running GCN, so far it looks like such a big jump that only EA has been able to do it, and we know that they aren't going to abandon DX11 APIs anytime soon. I'm excited about all of AMD's announcements and the prospect of a Titan killer, but Nvidia has had much better board position for the majority of this year, if not the past year and a half. So AMD is finally catching up and then it will be Nvidia's move with Maxwell, which is very exciting.

EA were paid to do it, that's not the same as doing it because its good.

I also remember how the 5xxx series introduced us to a new term, GSOD anyone? And the vertical line issue of course not mention crap CF drivers, Nvidia don't need to resort to the same dumb marketing that AMD love to do because AMD keep shooting themselves in the foot at every opportunity they get.

amd's cards are cheaper, because people wouldnt but them if they werent. the cards themselves are ok, the drivers/software is far inferior. Crossfire still doesnt work properly so dont waste your money on that. People are still buying 770's over 7970's even for $100 more even if they are similar in performance, especially for a dual card setup. I can guarantee nvidia are making a lot more profit on their cards than amd, and have room to match prices.

Plus they are not wasting money making stupid videos that try to poke fun at a competitor that's doing better than them! :lol:

Funny how you call rebranding "pulling an AMD" when nVidia were the first to do it with the 8800 GT -> 9800 GT and then the really brazen 8800 GTX -> 9800 GTX+ -> GTS 450. No, I'm afraid that re-branding your hardware is actually "Pulling an nVidia". I suppose the real difference is that when AMD re-brands something, the drop the prices whereas nVidia raises them. The GTS 450 was more expensive than the 9800GTX+. I remember because I worked at Tiger Direct at the time and it was a running joke we all had (even among the nVidia fanboys).

for me, this "re-branding" is only an issue if the previous cards performed no different, like the 7970 and r280x or as you said, 8800gt - 9800gt (yes nvidia did it first, and its stupid still). its stupid and confusing to the consumer, its exactly the same specs, its complete BS and i cant stand it. the gts450 was a different gpu and supported dx11(you probably meant gts250), not a rebrand. the 680-770 rebrand has increased performance, so to me, that's fair enough, dont care if it's the same gpu underneath, its the same as different cpu models with different clock speeds, fair enough? If buying your next card comes down to business ethics, think again, both manufacturers do the same crap. Think one more step, nvidia killed voodoo's glide proprietry api with their first geforce 256 and its superior performance in opengl and d3d. now AMD are bringing back a proprietry API (mantle), and i hope it dies too, im happy for amd to coexist, ive owned cards from both, nvidia do need competition, but mantle can suck a fat one.

Well the 8800GT to 9800GT did involve a hardware change albeit a tiny one but they were different and the reason behind the 8800GTS to 9800GTX+ which then became the GTS250 was also because of a hardware change, it may have been XFX who boned that whole naming structure though and could well have been one of the reasons that they and Nvidia parted ways.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, it's just battlefield is my main game. And this mantle thing is bugging me.

with your system you can still run bf4 on ultra with 60fps without mantle in a beta game with beta drivers, so don't let it bug you. Mantle still isn't looking to be released till december, and if it's anything like previous AMD software/drivers, it wont work properly for another 5 years.

monsta

Splendid
I would'nt base my graphics card brand on one game.
The Nvidia cards are showing excellent performance in the game even tho the marketing says it is AMD optimised. Its all hype and marketing just like Mantle I believe its going to be underwhelming when its released.
Even Nvidia did it with many games to get their logo on the start of a game with the way its meant to be played. I don't fall for that crap from either company, they both work well on the game. I have a GTX 680 and it runs perfectly in BF4 beta with Ultra Settings, I have no need to upgrade it as it performs very well.
I'm going to hold out for the next Gen cards , but for Mantle I'm not even going to hold my breath.

You are really underestimating what a low level API language can possibly do to increase performance in a game. Back when there were more than 2 dGPU providers, 3DFX had created the Glide API back in the late 1990's. ANY game using the Glide API ran best on Voodoo based gpus, no question asked. creating a low level API and general optimization are 2 different concepts, optimizing generally changes a game code to work better with a gpu piece by piece of the code. a low level API created a library of calls which allows the programmer to directly access hardware creating less load for both the cpu and the gpu to work on, increasing performance.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

IIRC Glide would only run on voodoo hardware, nothing else.

Wheras Mantle is supposedly "open" so even nVidia could use it.