• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Should thermal paste cover the entire CPU?

kaib

Proper
Jun 16, 2020
wondering if thermal paste should cover the entire CPU or if it’s ok to have a little gab on the edges of the CPU
Thanks

wondering if thermal paste should cover the entire CPU or if it’s ok to have a little gab on the edges of the CPU
Thanks
The part you see is the IHS(integrated heat spreader). The CPU die is very small in comparison and transfers the heat to the larger IHS. The more of the IHS that can transfer heat to the CPU cooler the better. Leaving a gap in the edges won’t make much of a difference. Not sure how you plan to leave a gap without taking the cooler back off repeatedly to check coverage, which can create air pockets. The best thing is to get a non conductive paste and apply so that it’s all covered.

Furzumz

Upstanding
May 28, 2020
I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand so is it conductive or non conductive
According to their website:

"It does not contain any metallic particles so electical conductivity would not be an issue. Unlike silver and copper compound, it ensures that contact with any electrical pins would not result in damage of any sort."

I also recommend checking this out, it gives you an idea as to how much to use:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS