[SOLVED] Should thermal paste cover the entire CPU?

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
wondering if thermal paste should cover the entire CPU or if it’s ok to have a little gab on the edges of the CPU
Thanks

Solution
wondering if thermal paste should cover the entire CPU or if it’s ok to have a little gab on the edges of the CPU
Thanks
The part you see is the IHS(integrated heat spreader). The CPU die is very small in comparison and transfers the heat to the larger IHS. The more of the IHS that can transfer heat to the CPU cooler the better. Leaving a gap in the edges won’t make much of a difference. Not sure how you plan to leave a gap without taking the cooler back off repeatedly to check coverage, which can create air pockets. The best thing is to get a non conductive paste and apply so that it’s all covered.
Thanks
The part you see is the IHS(integrated heat spreader). The CPU die is very small in comparison and transfers the heat to the larger IHS. The more of the IHS that can transfer heat to the CPU cooler the better. Leaving a gap in the edges won’t make much of a difference. Not sure how you plan to leave a gap without taking the cooler back off repeatedly to check coverage, which can create air pockets. The best thing is to get a non conductive paste and apply so that it’s all covered.

Solution

Furzumz

Reputable
I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand so is it conductive or non conductive

According to their website:

"It does not contain any metallic particles so electical conductivity would not be an issue. Unlike silver and copper compound, it ensures that contact with any electrical pins would not result in damage of any sort."

I also recommend checking this out, it gives you an idea as to how much to use:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM