[SOLVED] Should update my ssd firmware if i do not have any issues ?

esentisx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
Hi ,
I have an 860 evo 1 tb . Fresh os installed November 2020 and no issues . I installed Samsung magician and informs me about the new firmware . Do i need to update if i do not have issues ?(read 561 mb/s , write 531mb/s)
Also i have 699gb free do i need to enable the over provisioning ?
Thanks .

Solution
  1. I've never had an issue updating the firmware on any of my 8XX EVO. It even fixed an issue eon the early 840s.
  2. You don't need to establish the OP. That is mostly a failsafe, to ensure that YOU don't fill it up too much. It shows you an artificial reduced capacity.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. I've never had an issue updating the firmware on any of my 8XX EVO. It even fixed an issue eon the early 840s.
  2. You don't need to establish the OP. That is mostly a failsafe, to ensure that YOU don't fill it up too much. It shows you an artificial reduced capacity.

Reactions: esentisx
Solution

esentisx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
I updated to the latest firmware without a problem . I had v1 and updated to v4 . I did not found the change log though .
Thanks for the fast response .

esentisx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2014
In general, my observation has been that storage manufacturers rarely release firmware updates for performance reasons. They are almost always intended to address a bug of some kind.

See if you can find a changelog which explains the reasons for the update.
I updated to the latest firmware without a problem . I had v1 and updated to v4 . I did not found the change log though .
Thanks for the fast response .