[SOLVED] should Upgrade My GPU or My CPU?

LTTLBOX

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I’m looking to run 144 FPS at 1080p high or max settings. I play a lot of competitive FPS so at least 120ish FPS I was I’m looking for.
My specs currently are:

I5-6600k
Gtx 980
16 GB of DDR4 (3200 Hz)
G1 gaming Mobo

I have about $600 to throw at my upgrades so my thought was either upgrading my GPU to Either a Used GTX 1080ti or a new RTX 2070
(open to other suggestions as well) or upgrading my CPU for a really nice I9( or equivalent AMD , don’t know much about AMD though) and getting another 16 Gigs of Ram to go with it.

I’m am open to all any suggestions and thank you in advance!

Solution
I would say that I would think the 1660ti would be cut down a bit from the RTX 2060. Why would they cannibalize their sales of the higher card? If you are Nvidia, the RTX 2060 is probably what you want people buying so that you can have a case to say we need to keep pushing ray tracing. But the 1660ti is probably a card to appease those who aren't willing to spend 350+ on a card. So put something out to at least make sales on the mid-lower range of the market.

I would say you are ok to get a card, but at some point you'll want off that i5.

If you are looking for a deal, maybe this one is one to take a look at...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
In addition to Vapour's suggestion, also keep in mind that it's quite possible that the GPU might be maxed out most of the time for one game, but for another game it's the CPU that gets maxed out.

Also, you don't need 32GB. 16GB is more than enough for all games that are currently out today.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I got the impression that it would outperform the 1060, but perform less than the 2060, based on the bits I've read on this site.

Or maybe I'm just reading into that. I imagine Nvidia doesn't want to cannibalize 2060 sales.

I would say that I would think the 1660ti would be cut down a bit from the RTX 2060. Why would they cannibalize their sales of the higher card? If you are Nvidia, the RTX 2060 is probably what you want people buying so that you can have a case to say we need to keep pushing ray tracing. But the 1660ti is probably a card to appease those who aren't willing to spend 350+ on a card. So put something out to at least make sales on the mid-lower range of the market.

I would say you are ok to get a card, but at some point you'll want off that i5.

If you are looking for a deal, maybe this one is one to take a look at.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&Description=vega%2064&cm_re=vega_64-_-14-202-326-_-Product

Should run close to a GTX 1080/RTX 2070 speed wise for basically 100 off a 2070 that's not a bad deal.

Solution

LTTLBOX

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Thanks for the all the positive feed back you guys. I’m still on the fence but I’m leaning more towards a card. I just hope I do t run into bottleknecking issues. All further update this thread when I decide!