Should water cooling or Air cool and put the money into better hardware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rich9573

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Hi All,
I’ve been planning on building a new Micro atx pc for a while and with Ryzen looking promising I might finally do it. This is my current build:

Corsair 500R Case
Z77 Asrock Extreme 4 Motherboard
I5-3570K Processor OC to 4.4Ghz
Corsair h100i – Bit noisy and I’ve learnt alot since this my first build
Samsung 840 EVO 500gb SSD
2Tb 7200rpm HDD
Gigabtye HD 7950

Recently my GPU isn’t working and it’s either the motherboard or the gpu :/ (anyway it’s time for an upgrade).

Getting back to my question I’m wondering a couple of things if I should water cooling or Air cool and put the money into better hardware.?

I’ve done quite alot of research on water cooling and i’d either go with a EK pred with a water cooling block on the GPU say (£250 total). A full EK water cooling system costing say (£350). I could arctic cooler say iii- 140 (£100 and a cpu cooler).
Air Cooling I can get a decent Air cooler (maybe Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 for £65) and i can leave my new Vega GPU with gigabyte or MSI air cooling solution. Therefore saving £200 ish. With this £200 more cash i could buy a much better gpu and cpu (currently thinking of spending gpu £350 and cpu £250 roughly) I can leave them not overclocked or even under volt and I would still get better performance.

Basically should I spend extra money on watercooling or Aircool and put the money into better hardware? Any of the components i’ve listed do you think there is a better replacement? I want the build to be silent and i don't really like the look of massive air coolers but maybe I can be convinced :).

Solution
Your 3570K is a very good gaming processor, particularly when overclocked.
I have doubts that you will find anything significantly better in Ryzen.
But, one can hope.

Your cpu can run a very much stronger graphics card and I would upgrade that first.
Modern intel processors will run out of safe vcore limits before they run out of thermal limits.
That assumes you have a well ventilated case and a decent air cooler.

If you are looking for a more compact M-ATX case, look at the Silverstone TJ-08E.

As to liquid cooling:
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not...

How long have you used AIO closed loop water coolers? You say you didn't choose it for performance. Still I am curious if you switched from an aftermarket air cooler to that cooler? Temps. pretty much identical or?

D

Deleted member 217926

There hasn't been any explanation. If those temps are with a Hyper 212 then the computer was somewhere ambient temps were below freezing. Obviously putting the computer in a freezer is a terrible idea.

Even with liquid cooling you can't go below ambient. That basically leaves something like Peltier cooling, opening the window when it's freezing or putting the computer in a freezer.

Edit: ^ There you go. Wow you got low temps when it was freezing outside. Impressive. :sarcastic:

Yeah, using a freezer to cool a PC like a kegerator for beer is probably the worst idea ever. No need to get bunched about it :d

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
lol i thought that he was doing that, but condensation gets created some where then zap goes your pc. lol i have put my pc next to AC to get even lower temps with Liquid cooling never put it outside though

logainofhades

Titan

I have had it about 9-10 months or so. I bought it when I bought my 6700k, so I have never used air on it. I was using a hyper 212 plus, with a 3570k, prior.