Should You Build or Buy Your Next Gaming PC?

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
There is a third option. Pick your desired parts and have computer professionals assemble it. For my last build I took my old computer into Microcenter, MC cannibalized the old parts I wanted to reuse in the new build, I purchased the exact new parts I wanted and MC assembled it all in the new case for a reasonable $149.99. MC returned old parts that I didn't use so that I could sell the marketable used parts on SellGPU. They also tested my new build to ensure that everything worked. The cable routing was very neat and clean which looks great.

If I look at the sub $2k build as well as the pre-built systems listed in the article, there were compromises made in each. In contrast my build included exactly what I wanted/needed for my PC usage.

Last edited:

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
Except for laptops and my Amiga phase I always build my own desktops. I built my first desktop in the late 70s (s100 bus, z80 with 4K of RAM!).

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
My very first computer was a prebuilt by a major company. After a year or so, I began to have problems so I took it in to a local computer store. They diagnosed a failing PSU so I had them order one as it was proprietary. Two months and no PSU. They could no longer get the required one for it so it was a brick (BTW, this was in the early-mid 90s). This time I bought one from a local company that did builds and repairs and they had one built and ready in a few hours. At that point I took a detailed course on building a computer. I'd open up the one I had, studied it, and realized it was pretty simple to assemble. The next desktop I built myself and since then have built every desktop. Not only do I insure it's repairable but I like researching parts and having control over what goes in the system. No Cheap Parts!

Last edited:

JWolfe

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
It still costs time to research the parts when you buy a ready-made, if you want to get the best bang for your buck.

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
There is a third option. Pick your desired parts and have computer professionals assemble it. For my last build I took my old computer into Microcenter, MC cannibalized the old parts I wanted to reuse in the new build, I purchased the exact new parts I wanted and MC assembled it all in the new case for a reasonable $149.99. MC returned old parts that I didn't use so that I could sell the marketable used parts on SellGPU. They also tested my new build to ensure that everything worked. The cable routing was very neat and clean which looks great.

If I look at the sub $2k build as well as the pre-built systems listed in the article, there were compromises made in each. In contrast my build included exactly what I wanted/needed for my PC usage.

This is what I did. I spent a lot of time researching/obsessing over every part down to the case fans from different sites. Then I had the now defunct NCIX price match all the sites and also build it. At the time I believe I only paid $50 to have it built(I still can’t believe all of their servers/customer info ended up being sold off piecemeal in a back room of some sketchy warehouse).
After that I just upgraded my PC part by part. I’m thinking I may want to do another full build from scratch again soon. I haven’t decided if I’ll build it myself or not. I think I might.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
If you want budget to mid range PC , then buying ready one from DELL or HP is the Right option.

If you want high end components and expensive high end PC then do it your self because you will save at least 30% and you will choose the best parts.

curiousmcgeorge

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
It still costs time to research the parts when you buy a ready-made, if you want to get the best bang for your buck.
It takes a great deal of time for someone like me who is new to this. But I am building my next PC from scratch just for the heck of it.
Many people at work have done this, and I can always ask them (and here) for advice if something isn't going right.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014

That's part of the fun for those that like to build their own systems. You end up knowing exactly what parts are in your system and the reason you chose them.

g-unit1111

Titan
After building my own PCs for over 10 years now, there's no way that I would ever go back to buying anything from Dell or one of the big box PC companies. And after working next to a Cyberpower affiliated warehouse, and seeing some of the absolute atrocities they've committed, there's no way I would buy from them either.