Shouldn't the FX 6300 be overclockable with stock heatsink?

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I'm rather confused as to why my FX-6300 can't be overclocked by even 100MHz. Turbo Boost or whatever it's called with AMD will bump the cores all up to 3.8GHz when I render things, yet when I used Catalyst to set the stock speed to just 3.6GHz, when I play Minecraft the game gets hella glitchy and graphically insane and unplayable. Using CPU-Z and Core Temp, I can clearly view that all cores are being pushed to 3.8GHZ, so having the stock set to 3.6GHZ should by all means work fine. What gives? I wouldn't ever see a benefit from 3.6 over 3.5 since the turbo will take effect anyway, but shouldn't it work anyway?

TropicoSuarez

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Yes it should be overclockable with the stock heatsink, however this isn't recommended at all. If you want to verclock, you should get an aftermarket cooler like an Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, or a Noctua cooler. You should use the motherboard BIOS to overclock.

What motherboard do you have? Your motherboard may be incapable of overclocking or not providing the power needed to overclock the CPU.

Here's a guide to overclocking: A Guide to Overclocking the AMD FX Series CPU's

Xaviolo99

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
It's overclockable, but I recommend you following a tutorial oveclocking it with the bios and disabling the turbo option, the cause of your problem isn't the heatsink,it's ok. You will find a tutorial quick because lots of people have the fx 6300 and it's unlocked. OC by software never can be a good idea.

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I have the GA-970-D3P. Not an amazing OC'ing board, but it should be possible, seeing as people have OC'd on an MSI 970A-G46 before which is a worse board. I plan on getting either a Noctua NH-D14 at some point or the U14S. Whichever one is quieter, since the comparisons of the two seem to point towards the U14S being quieter and only a tiny bit warmer

TropicoSuarez

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

When you have a Noctua heatsink inside your case, you aren't going to hear it over the sound of your GPU fan, so it really doesn't matter which one you get on the comparison of sound. Go for performance.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
overclocking by CCC isn't a good idea.

You can mildly overclock to whatever the turbo boost is, 4.1ghz I believe on the fx6300 since it would turbo to that speed anyway, apparently the stock cooler can handle it.

It can just depend on motherboard to motherboard. There have been people here before who came here crying their 8 core fx8350 was being throttled on their sucky motherboard due to no vrm heatsinks (and bad power phase) but yet they claim to have had overclocked 6 core fx6300s on that same motherboard work fine. The 6300 isn't too power hungry, not as much as the 8 core, so you should be alright, just follow an actual guide and don't use software, you need to go into the BIOS

also, at least get the 30 dollar hyper 212 evo. The Noctuas are nice too but double the price, for not really double the performance.

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Now, I always hear amazing things about the Evo. How good IS it exactly? Is is good enough for say a 4770K to be OC'd at all, or is it's $30 pricetag mean you shouldn't plan on buying an amazing CPu to go along with it?

TehCaucasianAsian

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

So I usually used CCC to OC before, but I've been told to use the Motherboard BIOS by many people. How do I do that, exactly? I've gone into the BIOS before and all the multipliers and stuff to overclock are locked, whereas my friend as an ASUS board on the LGA 1155 socket that had everything by default unlocked and ready to be tweaked with. Not sure how to OC on this board, or if maybe to prevent me from frying it Gigabyte locked everything