Jan 12, 2019
So my computer came with a Seagate firecuda 1tb drive installed and I was given a Seadate slim 2tb external drive for free a while back. When upgrading to a SSD for my OS and programs, I figured I might as well shuck the external and swap the two as my photo library is about 3tb/year and it's annoying to only have 3 months on my laptop at a time. (I have a more elaborate system for actually archiving data, including geo-diverse considerations)

Before the shuck and swap, both the external enclosure (2tb) and firecuda drive (1tb) were preforming just fine - consistently copying large files around 120mb/sec.

After the shuck and whatnot, both HDDs still function and seem to retain data just fine but the average transfer rates are MUCH slower for both drives. Now they average around 50mb/sec but actually switch back and forth between 125mb/sec and 0mb/sec. Both hard drives are kept below 70% capacity, btw. The firecuda, now in the old Seagate slim enclosure, is actually empty/near empty just for moving stuff between printers/work-stations.
I'll include an image so you have a better idea.
View: https://imgur.com/9ZCbmJz

As I hinted, I frequently transfer large amounts of data, preforming backups over multiple hard drives about once a week so this transfer speed is beginning to get annoying. Anyone have an idea about how I could fix this?

System Info:
Asus GL503 Laptop
i7-7700HQ
WD 500gb Sata M.2 SSD (boot drive)
Seagate Slim 2tb external drive (currently shucked and in laptop - Label read "Seagate Laptop drive" and shows up as "ST2000LM007-1R8174" in Task Manager)
Seagate Firecuda 1tb (Currently in the enclosure that used to belong to the shucked drive)

RealBeast

Titan
Not sure why your read speeds are so poor, but your write speed is about what I would expect for photo size files as it is a 5400rpm drive that uses SMR (shingled magnetic recording ), which results in pretty poor write performance. Very large sequential writes should be somewhat higher (~100 MB/s).

If it really is a time issue and your budget can handle a $200 replacement, there are a number of 2TB SSDs (ADATA, Crucial, SanDisk) that I consistently see on slickdeals a bit under $200.

Jan 12, 2019
How full is the drive?
Is the drive set fro write thru cache or write back?
is the partition 4k aligned?
What size are the clusters?

Sorry for the delay in replying though thank you for the response nonetheless.

To answer some questions:
The 2tb "ST2000LM007-1R8174 " is currently about 45% full and the 1tb firecuda is less than 10% full.
At least the internal 2tb "ST2000LM007-1R8174" is set to "write back". Not sure about the firecuda.
No clue about the 4k alignment.
And cluster size is 4096

Jan 12, 2019
Not sure why your read speeds are so poor, but your write speed is about what I would expect for photo size files as it is a 5400rpm drive that uses SMR (shingled magnetic recording ), which results in pretty poor write performance. Very large sequential writes should be somewhat higher (~100 MB/s).

If it really is a time issue and your budget can handle a $200 replacement, there are a number of 2TB SSDs (ADATA, Crucial, SanDisk) that I consistently see on slickdeals a bit under $200.

Sorry for the slow reply.

As for the size of files copied, that likely isn't what's holding me back.... Each of those files was 115MB .dng files with a handful of 1gb+ PSDs. I work a fair amount with medium format digital backs so file sizes are pretty large.

And I could go ahead and buy a SSD but it seems silly to let a completely operable HDD (at least prior to this switch) go to waste.

Last edited: