Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050223_175226.html" target="_new">Shucks</A>

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
HP haha, how many PC's do they sell compared to Dell?

Xeon

<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Oh my well here in Alberta UofA UofS NAIT SAIT all use Dell 4-1 off to a bad start little wusy.

Xeon

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
80% of my university's computers were Gateway, 17% Dell, 3% IBM. That's a rough estimate for PC's only, they also have various servers and MAC's.

Each department buys computers based on special package deals. BTW, Gateway uses AMD too, but...I don't think any of their midrange business class PC's have them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>HP haha, how many PC's do they sell compared to Dell?

You'd be surprised. At least, I was:
<A HREF="http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P2426" target="_new">http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P2426</A>

As it is, its better for AMD to have all oem's except Dell, and having those oem's using AMD as a competitive advantage against Dell (like Sun betting on Opteron). If Dell would also sell AMD's, other oem's might be even less inclined to push AMD based products. As it is, its really not that bad for AMD.

The only thing really lacking IMO, is a strong offer of business PC's. There are precious few AMD based models in this segment.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
>The only thing really lacking IMO, is a strong offer of business PC's. There are precious few AMD based models in this segment.

There will be when the power bills arrive...

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>There will be when the power bills arrive...

I doubt its a big issue. most corporate PC's iddle 99% of them time in Word, excel, Outlook, etc. The difference between an AMD powered PC and an intel one isn't all that great while iddling. Compared to the powerdraw of a typical CRT (or even large LCD), its insignificant. Noise might be a bigger issue, but I have no idea how silent oem's make their high end Intel desktops these days. i've not heard many complaints, so I'd guess they are still tackling that one.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
You might be right. I come to a room where they have about 8 P4c's close together and they are all whisper quiet. They say they choose all the components for silence.

On the other hand there's a room with 60 Dell mini pc's with 3,2 gig Prescotts. They are also relatively quiet but they heat the room so much they had to install an additional a/c unit. That should matter.

endyen

Splendid
Are you sure about that? Just for arguments sake, let's say there's a difference of 40 watts. That's not a big deal right? We are talking pure heat though. How efficient are air conditioners? 50% sounds like a good number. Now we need an extra 80 watts to cool in the summer, so that means 120 watts. Most corporations leave thier computers on 24/7. Thier power bill arrives every 2 months.. medium large companies will have 500+ computers in a head office.
So, lets see, thats 120 X 24 X 60 X 500/1000. That would be 86 thousand kilowatt hours. How much do you pay for a KWH.
Where I work, we have 10X that many computers. We are looking to a major upgrade to our HVAC. Now , the price is getting into the millions. Add to that, an increase to our power bill of about $50K /bill, and it looks expensive to me. Not that anyone will notice though, we are using 4.5 megawatthours/hour.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 02/24/05 05:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ouch :frown:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
hp also includes compaq dont forget.. all of cingular wireless now uses hp/compaq for their desktops.

***this post was created using an hp***

this is my boomstick!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Noise might be a bigger issue, but I have no idea how silent oem's make their high end Intel desktops these days.
They aren't going to be any quieter than the stock scotty HSFs, and those make far too much noise IMO.

Friend of mine has a Fujitsu P4 3.4, and that does a good impression of a jet engine. It's not <i>incredibly</i> loud, but 20 of them in an office would be... unpleasant.

---
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 258x10=2580Mhz, ~1.52 Vcore
1Gb RAM, running at various strange speeds... :lol:
Voltmodded Sapphire 9800Pro @ 450/350 w/ modded VGA silencer 3.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I see your math, but you should compare them percentage wise, otherwise its meaningless. Using your number game, one could conclude that using wireless mice costs thousands of dollars to a large company each year in electricity costs alone.

>Just for arguments sake, let's say there's a difference of
>40 watts

Its more like 20W difference for the cpu (in iddle). That might translate to 30+W before powerconversion, but the irony here is that the efficiency of the PSU and voltage regulators probably makes a bigger difference than the cpu's themselves (again, iddling).

> Not that anyone will notice though, we are using 4.5
>megawatthours/hour.

My point exactly :) Of course there is an improvement in using 90nm A64s over similary performing P4s related to cost of electricity, but in the total cost of ownership, its going to be pretty neglectable.

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Oh my well here in Alberta UofA UofS NAIT SAIT all use Dell 4-1 off to a bad start little wusy.
Ok first of all the U of S is in saskachewan buddy. Second of all, how would u know what the universities use for computers? Have u been to all of them and checked out the facilities? Have u even graduated from high school yet...?

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Actually I am currently enrolled in NAIT, software engineering would you like my student # to confirm.

Xeon

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Oh oops U of S my bad I honestly dont know what they use neither do I care Sask is a terrible province which should be sold to some small south american country.

Xeon

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Naw its aight i know its what u always wanted to do. Just didnt know u had gone and finished the 1st step in your education already.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I see your math, but you should compare them percentage wise, otherwise its meaningless. Using your number game, one could conclude that using wireless mice costs thousands of dollars to a large company each year in electricity costs alone.
That's not a good analogy. A better analogy would be "what if a company discovered that the wireless mice it was using cost 20% more in terms of power consumption than another wireless mouse with equal or better performance would cost."

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, I think the cost of electricity is pretty moot as most of the PCs I see don't even have their monitor shut off after x minutes of inactivity. :O Talk about waste!

Plus most office PCs that I've seen are crap. They're no where near high end because no one needs a high-end PC just to run Word and check their email. They typically have only a 200W power supply or so and their power usage isn't exactly heavy.

Hell, even as a software engineer my work PC is only a P4A 2.0GHz box with Matrox G400 graphics. And that was only (semi)recently upgraded from a 750MHz P3. (Even though the client PCs that we ship are P4C 2.8GHz boxes with Radeon 9800Pros. Go fig.)

Anywho, electricity use really isn't a consideration to most businesses. Maybe it <i>should</i> be more important, but as far as I've seen, it isn't.

<pre>Antec Sonata 2x120mm
P4C 2.6
Asus P4P800Dlx
2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2
Leadtek A6600GT TDH
RAID1 2xHitachi 60GB
BENQ 16X DVD+/-RW
Altec Lansing 251
NEC FE990 19"CRT</pre><p>

G

Well it power consumption becomes a problem again this summer, it may well become a concern :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Challenging the exam and having a uncle that is good friends with the faculty helps even more.

Last 2 years of teaching myself how to program *I use that term lightly* was the hardest point in my life thus far.

But you are right programming has been my life’s dream I am just glad I am finally moving along.

Xeon

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
I intend to make some very impressive games actually. Should look for me in the next 5-10 years you might be impressed.

Xeon

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
You assume too much.

Xeon