Shut down and Anti-surge warning when trying to play Sims 3.

Axor

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
My fiancée's PC is shutting down and the Asus BIOS is giving an Anti-surge warning. It happens when starting up the Sims 3, during the loading screen into the actual game world, every single time.

My motherboard is an Asus H67-M
Power supply Artic Lite 550W ATX
Processor Intel i5 2500k
Graphics card XFX Radeon HD 7870

I've tried turning the Anti-surge off in the BIOS, it still shuts down, just no warning on startup.
I've tried plugging the PSU into the wall socket directly instead of the extention lead.
I've checked if all the wires are in properly, they are.

Any advice (except buying a better PSU, I'm too poor for that) is greatly appreciated.

Does the ARTIC 550W LITE have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater?

It's most likely only rated at 25 Amps and would explain why your having power problems.

A reputable name brand 550W PSU has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps.

LB-PSU-720-01.jpg

Axor

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

But my own PC has the exact same components and is not having these problems, does that mean that particular PSU is faulty?

Axor

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
The only difference between my setup and my fiancée's is that I have a 120mm fan running off a molex, and the hard drive is running off a molex with a molex to sata converter, don't know if that makes any difference. Is there any way I can get hers to work? I can't buy a new PSU for at least another 2 weeks, so any advice to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've looked around some more, specifically about Sims 3, apprently a lot of people are having shut downs and anti-surge warnings when loading into a town in the Sims 3, with PSUs that should easily handle their systems.
Something about Sims 3 stressing the CPU and GPU to the max when loading.

TRENDING THREADS