Shut down and memory issues.

Mitskuna

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I saw a few other posts that related somewhat to my questions, but they weren't to my extreme. I saw someone talk about having less avail memory than total, that's understandable.. but how about this issue i'm facing.

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.02 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.21 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.38 GB
Page File Space 3.79 GB

I have 8 gigs installed and it reads that on startup and everything. However it's saying my total is only 3.5 gigs. I removed everything from startup that I can and it still reads this. I have absolutely no clue why it's like this.

I'm on a Asus M4A78LT-M motherboard, Windows Vista, And AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
I am running a Galaxy GT 430 video card. Another question on this is:

I would like to remove shared memory on my video card if at all possible. (side question really..)

And my final question is. Lately my computer has a habbit of Shutting off. It's mostly when i'm in the middle of a game, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's happened when I wasn't in game either, it would shut down when only on a browser looking at a webpage or listening to music on my computer. So I know it's not just due to overload. My computer has no warning about it, and it shuts off, it doesn't restart. Just shuts completely off. My computer can run a little warm at times but I added 3 fans and dropped the temp by over 14 degrees with just the fans and I've ran the ac all day dropping it by 20-40 degrees depending on the components. Any solutions to these issues? I figure it was RAM based because when I look my Ram is usually full and taken up completely by a game or broswer. that's all I can think of.

Hi, If running the x86 version of Vista, the memory limit is 4GB.
How graphics cards and other devices affect memory limits
Devices have to map their memory below 4 GB for compatibility with non-PAE-aware Windows releases. Therefore, if the system has 4GB of RAM, some of it is either disabled or is remapped above 4GB by the BIOS. If the memory is remapped, X64 Windows can use this memory. X86 client versions of Windows don’t support physical memory above the 4GB mark, so they can’t access these remapped regions.

Regarding the shutting off, it might be a power supply issue. If you have a spare one, connect it and test.

Mitskuna

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I don't have a spare one sadly, I just got this one because my last one blew out. and I just checked, yeah it is a x86, I have a vista upgrade though is there a way I could install the x64 instead of the x86? Or am I going to have to get a new operating system?

And thanks for all the other info on how it works.