[SOLVED] Shut down PC during driver uninstall -- PC wont boot now

podonnell

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
My PC was uninstalling my Corsair H100i iCue software and got stuck at "uninstalling driver" for 5 minutes. I decided to shut down and it told me "programs still running" was the installer. I said shut down anyway and waited another two minutes... still would not turn off. Eventually I hard powered by pressing the reset button on my PC.

Now my PC will not boot into the OS. I have tried safe mode as well. It just sits at the Logo screen with the spinning dots. Eventually it got to "preparing automatic repair..." and stays on that screen indefinitely.

I do not have any system restore points.

I have tried using my Win10 disc for startup repair and it attempted something but doesn't seem to have changed anything.

UPDATE: I just tried booting into my Win7 OS on a separate disc and that is not loading either. What could cause an issue with both my OS's? The Win7 OS was not touched and was working as of last week. Same issue -- indefinite startup loop.

I also had some Windows 10 updates earlier today, but the PC seemed fine after that. Do not want to rule out that as an issue though.

Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:

podonnell

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
Even my external CD ROM will not let me boot from a CD now? Probably keeps reading from a bad block on my HD and causing all other drives to get stuck? If I unplug this HD from my PC will that help? It is listed in the BCD for some other drives so I am worried it will not my other OS boot without it.