shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
I'm getting an issue where playing a game for a while leads to my computers display going black and having to hard reset.

Because of the nature of the crash I assume it isn't OS related because I'm not getting a blue screen or any errors, and Whocrashed isn't picking up anything.

What could it be? My temps are okay, idle around 38 and load around 75 - 85 synthetic on CPU. 80c max on GPU.

My specs are:
MSI Pro Carbon X470
Ryzen 2600x OC to 4.2ghz on all cores at 1.365v
Trident Z 3000mhz OC to 3200mhz
Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+
CX650M PSU 650w

It's been happening since I upgraded my GPU from a RX 580. Could it be bad GPU drivers? Not enough power from PSU? I'm not really sure. More specifically it only really happens in Red Dead Redemption 2, so I'm wondering if it's just something to do with that game, or the fact that it's very taxing to run.

Solution
My only suggestion is to run the game (or whatever else could cause the "crash") with the CPU at stock speeds. If you never get the black screen, etc. then you can quickly rule out the CPU overclock as being the issue. Also, I'm not sure I understand when you say "GPU is irrelevant as this is happening without using it. " If you're playing RDR2 when it crashed then you're definitely using the GPU under load, which does draw plenty of power from the PSU.

Edit:
I verified that CPU-z has no realtime power consumption sensor, I thought I remembered it did. Odd... Anyways, if you use HWiNFO64, you can definitely see realtime CPU Wattage, which would be helpful. Its under sensors, listed as "CPU Package Power." Your wattage will be...

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

So I see that the 5700XT is rated at 225W TDP. AMD recommends a power supply of 600W or better, so you do fit in that range. It doesn't necessarily sound like a power problem, but we can't be sure yet. Could you by chance track the CPU usage and power consumption as well as the GPU usage and power consumption at the time of a crash? Since the CPU is overclocked, it will be using more power, as a result, your PSU might not be supplying enough power when the CPU and GPU are both boosting. If you cant log the numbers at the time of a crash, at least see if you can take a peek when a game is running fine to make sure its not too close to that 650W limit.

All that being said, it still doesn't necessarily sound like a power issue, but its nice to confirm anyways. Might just be a driver. You could use DDU and start with a clean installation of your GPU driver and that may help.

Hope this helps :)

Quick edit:
I ran the number on the power consumption and here's what I got for wattage estimate:
https://outervision.com/b/cK1x79
I had to make a few assumptions, but its a good estimate. Anyways, if your RAM is OC'd that number may be a bit closer to 575W, who knows. If you have your GPU OC'd or if it came OC'd from the factory, the wattage would be higher still. So all that being said, your PSU wattage is a little closer to capped than is comfortable, but it should be OK.

Last edited:

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Hi there,

So I see that the 5700XT is rated at 225W TDP. AMD recommends a power supply of 600W or better, so you do fit in that range. It doesn't necessarily sound like a power problem, but we can't be sure yet. Could you by chance track the CPU usage and power consumption as well as the GPU usage and power consumption at the time of a crash? Since the CPU is overclocked, it will be using more power, as a result, your PSU might not be supplying enough power when the CPU and GPU are both boosting. If you cant log the numbers at the time of a crash, at least see if you can take a peek when a game is running fine to make sure its not too close to that 650W limit.

All that being said, it still doesn't necessarily sound like a power issue, but its nice to confirm anyways. Might just be a driver. You could use DDU and start with a clean installation of your GPU driver and that may help.

Quick edit:
I ran the number on the power consumption and here's what I got for wattage estimate:
https://outervision.com/b/cK1x79
I had to make a few assumptions, but its a good estimate. Anyways, if your RAM is OC'd that number may be a bit closer to 575W, who knows. If you have your GPU OC'd or if it came OC'd from the factory, the wattage would be higher still. So all that being said, your PSU wattage is a little closer to capped than is comfortable, but it should be OK.

I never really considered the PSU because it was in spec for my CPU and GPU. However,
I also have a lot of RGB. MoBo RGB, 2 ARGB fans, an ARGB strip, ARGB GPU, 2 RGB CPU fans, RGB CPU heatsink, and about 6ft of external RGB coming out of the case (stuck to the back of my computer monitor/desk).

Wondering if thats a bit much for a 650w PSU

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Its certainly hard to tell, but 650W is a bit closer than I personally would choose. Also, like I previously mentioned, the overclocked CPU is definitely going to be drawing more power. What rating is your PSU (80 Plus Bronze, Gold, Platinum, etc..)?

Lastly, you could still check the power consumption of your components, using something like CPU-z and GPU-z which may give you a better idea of whats going on. Hope this helps :)

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Its certainly hard to tell, but 650W is a bit closer than I personally would choose. Also, like I previously mentioned, the overclocked CPU is definitely going to be drawing more power. What rating is your PSU (80 Plus Bronze, Gold, Platinum, etc..)?

Lastly, you could still check the power consumption of your components, using something like CPU-z and GPU-z which may give you a better idea of whats going on. Hope this helps :)

80+ bronze i believe.

CPU-Z only shows my TDP which is 95.0w. GPU is irrelevant as this is happening without using it. (I assume) I tried using AMD uprof but I don't really understand it.

So a few things about what's been going on:

When the computer dies and the screen goes black, everything keeps running, fans, lights, but no display or audio as the system hangs. But all of the USB peripherals also die - So the RGB on my keyboard and mouse don't light up.

It was only really doing it during RDR2, but i tried stress testing and it happens after a few cycles, seemingly randomly.

I really have no idea what to do. I've increased CPU Vcore to 1.4v, Tried undervolting and no luck. My GPU is set to limit the power by %50 so power shouldn't be the cause. Set Vcore to auto and LLC to mode 1 in ClickBIOS and quickly went above 100c, not trying auto voltage again.

Any thoughts?

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
My only suggestion is to run the game (or whatever else could cause the "crash") with the CPU at stock speeds. If you never get the black screen, etc. then you can quickly rule out the CPU overclock as being the issue. Also, I'm not sure I understand when you say "GPU is irrelevant as this is happening without using it. " If you're playing RDR2 when it crashed then you're definitely using the GPU under load, which does draw plenty of power from the PSU.

Edit:
I verified that CPU-z has no realtime power consumption sensor, I thought I remembered it did. Odd... Anyways, if you use HWiNFO64, you can definitely see realtime CPU Wattage, which would be helpful. Its under sensors, listed as "CPU Package Power." Your wattage will be higher than your TDP since its overclocked.

Last edited:
Solution

galvatron1

Honorable
May 22, 2014
I'm having the same issue myself. I've made sure AMD settings arent set to a specific setting and its set to auto. It happens while im gaming, and ONLY gaming. If I adjust video resolution mid game, boom. same thing.
Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3600 (Stock)
XFX 8GB RX 590 Fatboy (Stock)
Xion 1000W 80+ Bronze PSU

Max temps ive been seeing my GPU reach is 80-85 while gaming. Ive tried DDU multiple times, and it still happens.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
I'm having the same issue myself. I've made sure AMD settings arent set to a specific setting and its set to auto. It happens while im gaming, and ONLY gaming. If I adjust video resolution mid game, boom. same thing.
Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3600 (Stock)
XFX 8GB RX 590 Fatboy (Stock)
Xion 1000W 80+ Bronze PSU

Max temps ive been seeing my GPU reach is 80-85 while gaming. Ive tried DDU multiple times, and it still happens.

I'm seeing countless issues with this being caused by AMD drivers. Black screen, peripherals die, hard reset.

The funny thing is, I had a transfer going on over the network which actually continued, so the system is NOT crashing, I suspect it's something to do with the graphics driver itself. I completely took off all my OC's and went back to stock on everything and it did it as soon as I started Prime95, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.