ShutDown Error

A computer running WinXP has an error while shutting down. On each
shutdown, I hear a beep, then a error dialog flashes on the screen. I can't
read it because it happens so fast, but it appears to be a DLL error of some
sort. Because of this, most of this, on most of the Computer Boot Ups, it
goes to the CMOS page. Everything looks okay so I save changes ... then it
finally boots. I'm making an assumption that the two errors are related. I
would like to know if there is a way to halt the computer when the error
comes up so I can read the message. I've tried the pause, that won't work.
Any other ways.

Currently I'm reading the system logs to see if I see anything.

Why not just fix the problem,try shutdown,power off,locate the cmos jumper
pin,usually its set from 1-2 to 2-3 position for 15 seconds,then set back to
1-2.If you cant locate it,remove battery for same time,replace,start
computer.
The basic BIOS settings will need to be reset after.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:34:08 GMT, JCO wrote:

> A computer running WinXP has an error while shutting down. On each
> shutdown, I hear a beep, then a error dialog flashes on the screen. I can't
> read it because it happens so fast, but it appears to be a DLL error of some
> sort. Because of this, most of this, on most of the Computer Boot Ups, it
> goes to the CMOS page. Everything looks okay so I save changes ... then it
> finally boots. I'm making an assumption that the two errors are related.

They may not be related. You may have a shutdown problem. And a low battery
that is not retaining your CMOS settings. Reading the system logs is a good
idea as you already mentioned. Using Event Viewer to do this?

> would like to know if there is a way to halt the computer when the error
> comes up so I can read the message. I've tried the pause, that won't work.
> Any other ways.

If you have a keyboard with an F-Lock key, try pressing F-Lock+Pause.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I'm not loosing any of the CMOS data, that I can tell. I will clear the
CMOS and see what that does.
The clock never looses time (a sure indication that the battery is low).

No F-Lock Pause, but thanks.