[SOLVED] Shutdown on intro advertisement part, is my 10850K faulty ?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
PC Specs:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

4 weeks ago i launched Metro Exodus and in cinematic advertisement part ( 30 fps ) pc just shutdown. I pressed only power button, rebooted again and its fine again. Happened once and i cant reproduce. And monitor flickered with NO SIGNAL after shutdown.

Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part.

I tried to reproduce issue by launching game 400 times and no shutdowns. It happened once,should i worry?

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe game/driver bug?

My computer has worked fine before and after that one crash.

Power was in house i think,laptop and router dont notice anything.Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

So after this i tested for many hours that games and shutdown not repeated:

1.Control
2.Metro Exodus Enhanced ( in game and main menu load )
3.Crysis 1.3 remastered
4.Quake 2 Rtx
5.Watch Dogs Legion
6.Cyberpunk 20777.
3dmark all tests
8.Battlefield 5
9.Far Cry 6

Weird that it happened only once when launching Metro. Heh

Well over 20 years ago, I noticed that my PC was vulnerable to 'insta-off' power-downs when the modular (semi-mobile double wide?) home's central air conditioner would kick on, but, the slightly dimming lights made that a tad easy to tell when/why it occurred.

Your scenario will hopefully remain just a solitary aberration/outlier! (Although if it happened again, I'd initially suspect the PSU can't quite handle the large current swing supplying the 3090, despite it's 'should be enough watts' status, and, any 3-4+ years and older PSUs might be degraded a few percentage points on their specs/tolerances... Note to perhaps newer folks: if you do swap the PSU do NOT mix/match modular cables between the two, as pinout specs often differ at the PSU's modular insertion points, and, naturally, the wrong voltages on the wrong pins can 'send things headed south' very quickly! A handful of folks per year fry SSDs and hard drives this way)