[SOLVED] Shutdowns on certain games, clarifications would be welcome:

Jun 15, 2020
Hello all,
This is my first time building a PC and everything was running smoothly, however, the PC now turns off when running games - there is no set interval when this happens, it's random and I have checked forums on here and people seem to be suggesting a number of reasons and I was wondering if anyone more experienced would be able to pin-point the issue with my system.

I will outline the parts used in the build.

Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk Max AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3000
RAM: Corsair vengeance RGB pro 16BG (8GBX2) DDR4 3200 MHz
GPU: Msi Radeon rx 5600 XT Mech OC
M.2 SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
SSD 2: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB
HDD: Toshiba 2TB
PSU: Aerocool Integrator MOD XT 750W Bronze.
Monitor: Dell SE2417HGX 23.6 Inch 60/75Hz with AMD FreeSync
Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100M Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case (Removed one stock exhaust fan and added 3 corsair fans and kept the two fans on front of case as intake fans). I have tried adding another fan in the front, however, there is meant to be space but i'll have to take out the drive bays to gain access to the last fan in order to move it down to make room for another one.

The game that I have noticed a shutdown and restart on is PUBG. I was playing on Ultra settings but I figured I might be pushing the system too much so I dropped down to high, same thing, and then I dropped other settings down too and it still happens.
The thing is, there are times where I am able to play a couple of games without a shutdown, however, other times it's right away.

Works fine when it comes to doing microsoft office tasks, watching youtube videos and creating loom content.

Troubles I had early which might help someone determine the problem.
When I first booted up the system, I had trouble getting a bios menu come up on a TV that I used (older TV with HDMI capabilities, however, I tried on a newer 4K tv and eventually it worked. I updated the bios and installed latest updates from MSI website and I used AMD's Radeon software to make sure that the GPU was up-to-date.
I also bought a new monitor that is 60Hz with 75Hz using AMD Freesync (I know not a great monitor, but I did not think it would have an impact on PC shutdowns but I'll put it here anyways).

I apologise for a very long post but I figured someone out there with a lot more experience than me will be able to say what is wrong (or an idea where to look).
I checked the CPU and GPU temps while playing the games and CPU was at around 55/58C and the GPU was at around 70C

I have also been getting green screen crashes too. What could possibly be the issue.
PC works like a dream unless I'm playing particular games - PUBG being one. I can run tomb raider on max settings with no issues, same with it's bench mark.
I can also run heaven benchmark fine on max settings and also cinebench testing does not turn off my pc although it does make the temps go to around 80c under load. One thing I have noticed in Ryzen master is that the ppt bar can go red and hit around 90% during cinebench tests...

I have ordered another PSU from corsair that is the same 750w and bronze rated (there is a very low availability of PSU's at the moment).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I think that I have figured it out. The 3600 CPU cannot handle the high settings on the render distance setting on pubg - I changed it from ultra to high and then to medium and it's worked fine.
Jun 15, 2020
I would suspect the Power Supply.

Aerocool power supplies are known for poor quality.

I have seen an Aerocool supply cause the problems you are experiencing.

Ah thank you so much for a super fast response! Does everything else seem pretty tight knit then?
When I change the PSU I'll post an update, should be tomorrow sometime.
Would this PSU be of a better quality you think as it is the one I have ordered?
CORSAIR CX750 ATX PSU - 750 W

Ah thank you so much for a super fast response! Does everything else seem pretty tight knit then?
When I change the PSU I'll post an update, should be tomorrow sometime.
Would this PSU be of a better quality you think as it is the one I have ordered?
CORSAIR CX750 ATX PSU - 750 W

Nothing else jumps out at me except the PSU.
The symptoms you are seeing coincide with the PSU .
....and I've seen these same symptoms with other bad PSUs.
So I am thinking....most likely PSU.

And from what I've read of Aerocool....I wouldn't want to trust my system with one....so I would be changing it even if it worked.

Corsair CX are decent PSUs from what I've read and seen although I have never had one. I am running two Corsair RMx series right now with no issues. They get good reviews as well.

Reactions: NewPcBuilder2020
Jun 15, 2020

And from what I've read of Aerocool....I wouldn't want to trust my system with one....so I would be changing it even if it worked.

Corsair CX are decent PSUs from what I've read and seen although I have never had one. I am running two Corsair RMx series right now with no issues. They get good reviews as well.

Once again, thank you, it's nice to have your insights into what the problem is. When I swap it over, I will make a post and let you know. Could it possibly be a graphics card fault?
I know with what you have mentioned, it will likely be the PSU considering you mentioned they are known for their problems.

Jun 15, 2020

Ok, new PSU in. Tested open case with and no shutdowns so far.
I have just put everything on the case and I will now do a test run, so far so good!
Thank you so much :D

Edit:

Open case test worked fine, closed case I had shutdowns... does that mean it's an airflow problem?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020
I think that I have figured it out. The 3600 CPU cannot handle the high settings on the render distance setting on pubg - I changed it from ultra to high and then to medium and it's worked fine.

Solution