[SOLVED] Shutdowns while gaming

Dec 21, 2019
So, I own a gaming PC which quite recently went through major changes and upgrades. However a problem has been rather persistent. While gaming the PC shutdowns then immediately boots up again. This happens in almost every game, though some are more unusual than other that makes me scratch my head. For example it runs Doom(2016) mostly fine for hours but will shutdown consistently within minutes of opening HOI4 and CS:GO generally kicks me out of a game at least once.

After quite some time of trying to see what's was wrong, I'm thinking it's my PSU, it's the only thing I haven't changed since the problem first surged and from experience it feels like the PC stops being fed power for a second and then it comes back to normal (but the boot takes slightly longer than booting from normal turning off)

Yet the fan on the PSU seems to be spinning and all and I can't see the heat from it. I want to know if anyone has experience the same issue and what was causing it for them.

I'm currently with my finger pointed at the PSU. But I want to hear from people with more knowledge than I.

My current PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600K (Not overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55
Moba: Gigabyte B365M Gaming HD
GPU: NVIDIA GeForceGTX 1660
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
Case: MS800 Plus

Solution
That case has holes at the bottoms right?

So that PSU fan should be facing down to get the air from the outside of the case.

What you did is just suffocate your PSU by using hot air from inside your system and hot air was used to cool down your PSU. That might have affected it's lifespan by degrading it faster.

You put the fan up when there is no air intake at the bottom of the case.
Dec 21, 2019
How old is the PSU? Is the 'CX750M' label green and white lettering or all black lettering?

Is no older than 3 years... But I don't exactly remember

The letters themselves are black, being the negative space of a white "background"
IMG_1379.jpg

The older green label wasn't as good as the newer grey label that you have. That's why I asked. I would'nt expect your PSU as the problem, being it's the newer, better model, but random shutdowns are often a bad PSU as you already pointed out in your original post. If thermals are ok then I'm unsure what else it could be. Have you tried a clean driver installation for the GPU?

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, the GPU seems to stay around 65C (Max 81C when the game was opening) and the CPU doesn't go above a 62C.

Also how do I check the event viewer to say what was wrong?
Click on Start and type "This PC" - then when This PC and its icon comes up, choose Manage -> System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

It'll take a little bit, but then a bunch of logs will show up - and you'll want to check things from just before the system shut down (and maybe just after it was booted back up as well)

Dec 21, 2019
Click on Start and type "This PC" - then when This PC and its icon comes up, choose Manage -> System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

It'll take a little bit, but then a bunch of logs will show up - and you'll want to check things from just before the system shut down (and maybe just after it was booted back up as well)

So I did a test, this error came through,

"O sistema foi reiniciado sem um desligamento correto primeiro. Esse erro pode ser causado quando o sistema para de responder, trava ou fica sem energia inesperadamente."

"The system was restarted without a proper shutdown. This error can be caused when the system stops responding, jams or goes with energy unexpectedly"

This is the Critical error popped at all time the PC restarted

I assume this is PSU, could it be anything else?

(I aslo came to realise the loudest thing inside my PC might be the PSU when under Stress, it sound like a mix of scratching and electrical crackling, maybe it's the fan going overdrive)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately, that message is pretty generic, and is basically saying "Hey, there was an unexpected shutdown."

Thanks, Windows - that's REAL helpful! :LOL:

However, the noises coming from the PSU are concerning - I'm surprised, though, given that the PSU is relatively new - and the newer CX models are definitely better than the old ones.

I'm going to have to leave it to others who can diagnose a bit better than I can. However, if it's at all possible to borrow a known good power supply from someone, or try out another one that you might have (though I realize most people don't have extra power supplies lying around), I'd do so - that might help conclude as to whether it's your current PSU or not.

BUT - your PSU is also under warranty - I believe the CX models have either 3 year or 5 year warranty. If it's making that kind of noise, even if it's not the cause of your shutdowns, I'd want to replace it anyway!

Dec 21, 2019
Watch the language
Unfortunately, that message is pretty generic, and is basically saying "Hey, there was an unexpected shutdown."

Thanks, Windows - that's REAL helpful! :LOL:

However, the noises coming from the PSU are concerning - I'm surprised, though, given that the PSU is relatively new - and the newer CX models are definitely better than the old ones.

I'm going to have to leave it to others who can diagnose a bit better than I can. However, if it's at all possible to borrow a known good power supply from someone, or try out another one that you might have (though I realize most people don't have extra power supplies lying around), I'd do so - that might help conclude as to whether it's your current PSU or not.

BUT - your PSU is also under warranty - I believe the CX models have either 3 year or 5 year warranty. If it's making that kind of noise, even if it's not the cause of your shutdowns, I'd want to replace it anyway!

Damn, so no confirm still...

I was thinking about getting another PSU to test, but finding one spare is hard and getting one from a existing computer is a lot of trouble... I guess for now I will assume is the PSU and attempt to confirm and if it's not that I will likely be returning to here to figure what in the Removed is wrong with my PC ;-;

Also

The older green label wasn't as good as the newer grey label that you have. That's why I asked. I would'nt expect your PSU as the problem, being it's the newer, better model, but random shutdowns are often a bad PSU as you already pointed out in your original post. If thermals are ok then I'm unsure what else it could be. Have you tried a clean driver installation for the GPU?

How do I do a clean driver installation? I heard drivers can do this kinda of thing.
(And if that solves the problem I don't need to find another PSU)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, so no confirm still...

I was thinking about getting another PSU to test, but finding one spare is hard and getting one from a existing computer is a lot of trouble... I guess for now I will assume is the PSU and attempt to confirm and if it's not that I will likely be returning to here to figure what in the Removed is wrong with my PC ;-;

Also

How do I do a clean driver installation? I heard drivers can do this kinda of thing.
(And if that solves the problem I don't need to find another PSU)
When you start installation of new Nvidia drivers, after accepting the license agreement you'll move to an options screen. Select the option for custom install where you'll see a checkbox for a clean install.

Last edited by a moderator:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What I would suggest for a clean driver installation is
  1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
  2. Download the latest Nvidia drivers for your card and OS.
  3. Restart the computer in Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU, and ensure that Nvidia is selected in the option when it's run.
  5. After restarting, install the drivers you dowloaded in Step 2.

If you want to rule out the PSU, do this:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, and then click OK.
Restart the computer.

The computer no longer restarts automatically when a problem occurs. Instead, a blue screen displays with useful information. You can search for a resolution using the information in the error.

If you get the blue screen instead of another reboot, then problem is probably not the PSU at all.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Dec 21, 2019
If you want to rule out the PSU, do this:

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, and then click OK.
Restart the computer.

The computer no longer restarts automatically when a problem occurs. Instead, a blue screen displays with useful information. You can search for a resolution using the information in the error.

If you get the blue screen instead of another reboot, then problem is probably not the PSU at all.

So the last day I've done two things

I have performed a clean driver installation and I just did a test on removing automatically restart

The issue still happened and even with the automatic rebooting turned off, the PC still rebooted, as always.

(Oddly enough the "benchmark" that is HOI4 for this crash, lasted 2 weeks in game before going down completely, better than the previous 4 days, maybe the clean driver installation made the computer more effecient, so it took longer for the crash or I just had some luck, can't really know for sure)

So that nails down to PSU? Just to be sure, cause I'm already making some arrangements to get a new one by monday

So that PSU fan should be facing down to get the air from the outside of the case.

What you did is just suffocate your PSU by using hot air from inside your system and hot air was used to cool down your PSU. That might have affected it's lifespan by degrading it faster.

Solution
Dec 21, 2019

That would do it... wouldn't it?

Yes the case does have holes holes from below to take in air
I didn't realize beforehand. That this was wrong! I had someone with experience help me assemble the PC... I guess it went over both of our heads...

hmmm so if I spun it around maybe it stops taking in the whole lot of hot air... And starts working...? Honestly... if that was the case, there might be too much damage already... but it doesn't hurt to try

Dec 21, 2019
Ok, I ready to close this thread.

So I did spun the PSU around and tried to do the HOI4 (Aka the most consistent crasher ) test.

I got a really good result, I managed to actually play the game for an entire in-game month and a half, this is a big change from the days I got previously and the two week I think I got from the clean install (Not sure about that one still)

But ultimately it did shutdown, so likely means the PSU is likely damaged, despite the better airflow it now has, so I will retire it. Probably hold on to it and give it to some non-gaming PC as it still functions well for casual use.

A thanks to everyone who, came this thread to give their insight.

Ok, I ready to close this thread.

So I did spun the PSU around and tried to do the HOI4 (Aka the most consistent crasher ) test.

I got a really good result, I managed to actually play the game for an entire in-game month and a half, this is a big change from the days I got previously and the two week I think I got from the clean install (Not sure about that one still)

But ultimately it did shutdown, so likely means the PSU is likely damaged, despite the better airflow it now has, so I will retire it. Probably hold on to it and give it to some non-gaming PC as it still functions well for casual use.

A thanks to everyone who, came this thread to give their insight.

If it ran LONGER with the PSU facing down, but still shut down, then you haven't solved the problem. You're only getting closer to solving it.

In your first post, you said the PC shut down and then immediately started back up again. I call that a reboot. Is there any reason why you're not calling that a reboot or restart? Or when you say it immediately started back up again, did you mean to say that it does that on it's own or you're saying that it starts back up when you hit the power button?

In this last post, you said it shut down. But did it start back up again? Or does it now shut down and stay shut down?

Dec 21, 2019
If it ran LONGER with the PSU facing down, but still shut down, then you haven't solved the problem. You're only getting closer to solving it.

In your first post, you said the PC shut down and then immediately started back up again. I call that a reboot. Is there any reason why you're not calling that a reboot or restart? Or when you say it immediately started back up again, did you mean to say that it does that on it's own or you're saying that it starts back up when you hit the power button?

In this last post, you said it shut down. But did it start back up again? Or does it now shut down and stay shut down?

Is always a Reboot, I never need to push power to turn it back on.

And for solving I think I have zeroed in that the PSU is faulty and likely there is not anything short of changing it.

But if you believe something else is the culprit or there is something I can do to make it work again, I would be very much glad to hear it

Last edited:
Is always a Reboot, I never need to push power to turn it back on.

And for solving I think I have zeroed in that the PSU is faulty and likely there is not anything short of changing it.

But if you believe something else is the culprit or there is something I can do to make it work again, I would be very much glad to hear it

OTP (over temperature protection) in a PSU will latch the PSU off so it cannot be used until it cools down.

Two things here: First, you say that it doesn't turn off, and that it reboots. Second, you say that the fan definitely spins, in fact, it's quite loud. Unless all of your other parts are running stupidly hot (you said they don't), that fan is more than adequate to keep the PSU cool whether the fan is pointing up or down (should not matter one bit. I actually prefer the fan pointing up).

But go ahead and replace the PSU and see if that solves the problem. It has a five year warranty, so you can swap it out easily enough. Whether it does or doesn't fix the problem though, make sure you report back and don't keep us hanging.

Dec 21, 2019
OTP (over temperature protection) in a PSU will latch the PSU off so it cannot be used until it cools down.

Two things here: First, you say that it doesn't turn off, and that it reboots. Second, you say that the fan definitely spins, in fact, it's quite loud. Unless all of your other parts are running stupidly hot (you said they don't), that fan is more than adequate to keep the PSU cool whether the fan is pointing up or down (should not matter one bit. I actually prefer the fan pointing up).

But go ahead and replace the PSU and see if that solves the problem. It has a five year warranty, so you can swap it out easily enough. Whether it does or doesn't fix the problem though, make sure you report back and don't keep us hanging.

So, from what I understand you are saying that the OTP on the PSU would just shutdown the PC until is cooled , not reboot it. So it's not necessarily temperature that is causing it. And even then the fan on the PSU should have been enough to keep it cool. Is that right?

(My personal guess right there would be that upon reaching a certain amount of energy output needed to keep the machine on, the PSU fails to provide it, so that reboots the PC, because the PC lacks eletricity... Don't quote me on that...)

And yeah, I when I get that new PSU I will make another post here to confirm if has solved the issue or not...

My personal guess right there would be that upon reaching a certain amount of energy output needed to keep the machine on, the PSU fails to provide it, so that reboots the PC, because the PC lacks eletricity... Don't quote me on that....

I won't because that's wrong too.

A PSU has two different protections to prevent an overload. One is OCP (over current protection for the DC side's load) and the other is OPP (over power protection for the AC side 's load). Either of these would cause the PSU to to latch off and require a power cycle of the PSU.

The only PSU protection that causes a reboot instead of latch off is the short circuit protection on the +5VSB rail.