El1

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
Hey I have a problem where my computer will crash and then restart and I don't know what is causing it. I have checked for CPU overheating but the temps are always cool. I also checked reliability history and it tells me windows has shut down unexpectedly. This happens when I am playing games( crashes mostly on call of duty cold war ). On event viewer I see a critical problem saying "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". Bug CHK code: 292. Event 41, Kernel Power. Please help this happens every day.

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
Hey I have a problem where my computer will crash and then restart and I don't know what is causing it. I have checked for CPU overheating but the temps are always cool. I also checked reliability history and it tells me windows has shut down unexpectedly. This happens when I am playing games( crashes mostly on call of duty cold war ). On event viewer I see a critical problem saying "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". Bug CHK code: 292. Event 41, Kernel Power. Please help this happens every day.

Sounds like the PSU is failing since it mostly happens in high-demanding games where power would be needed. If you list your system specs, someone could tell you whether the PSU has a bad reputation. Make sure to include the brand, model, and age of the PSU as well.

El1

Prominent
Jul 27, 2021
I have
intel i5 10400
gtx 1660 super
Gigabyte b460M DS3H AC-Y1
PNY eletronics 8gb ddr4 ram
PNY 1tb SSD
Apevia 520W Captain power
This PSU is 3 years old

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
I have
intel i5 10400
gtx 1660 super
Gigabyte b460M DS3H AC-Y1
PNY eletronics 8gb ddr4 ram
PNY 1tb SSD
Apevia 520W Captain power
This PSU is 3 years old
That PSU is cheaper than dirt. The first step you should take is testing it with a new, more reliable PSU. When the power demand gets too high, your PSU simply cannot handle it.

Jan 1, 2023
I agree with others that it's most likely a PSU issue, but it never hurts to take the computer, plug it into different outlets around the house to test. The last thing you want to cheap out on is a PSU. No need to go uber expensive like Seasonic, but a brand name at least.

292 = 0x124
so you have a bughceck 0x124
put your minidump on a server, share the file for public access and post a link.
I can take a quick look for common problems that will cause this bugcheck.
IE overclocking drivers would the most common cause.

general procedure to fix this is to update the bios, and the motherboard drivers. Remove all overclocking software. Looking at the minidump can help isolate the problem a bit more.

GTX 1660 Super GPU125 W
125w is the max power thru the PCI bus. Should be ok but if it pulls more power than that the motherboard protection circuit should kick in and shut down your cpu.

make sure the GPU fan is spinning and is not clogged with dust or it might run slowly and cause heating issues which cause the gpu to pull too much power.

Last edited: