Shutsdown Exactly On 30 Minute Mark - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

hezzie777

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Hi all,

I've been having trouble with my PC, I think it wants to join the dark side ;(.

Recently the power tripped in my house and the next time I tried to start the computer it wouldn't power up. I looked at the motherboard and noticed it had power, I then reset the CMOS and it started up but with one or two issues (the graphics didn't display first time booting but I managed to fix it) eventually everything seemed fine again, decided to play a game of Dota and sometime during the game play, it shutdowns without warning as if the power cut out again in the whole house.

That was my first thought but when I left my room I noticed everything else had power, (room lights, brothers PC etc..) I then went back to my PC to try start it up and it did without any problems, my thoughts lead me to believe either my GPU or CPU overheated during game play but I rejoined my game and I ran temperature monitor in the background while I played, checking every 5 minutes or so. The CPU never went above 55 degrees C and the GPU never went about 75 degress C which was normal for me. Suddenly it shutdowns again but it felt like it was the same amount of time as the last shutdown so I decided to pull out my timer and have a look, at the same time I didn't want to stress the PC so I just did some browsing for a solution, While I'm browsing exactly 30 minutes later it shutdowns. I booted up again and looked at my BIOS and set it to default settings on the chance that maybe I messed something up in there. so I carry on browsing while timing, low and behold on the exact 30 minute mark, it shutdowns without warning again. so I started to think it might be a software issue. I duel boot with Linux Mint and Windows 7 so I switched over to my less used Windows 7 and continued my browsing, 30 minute mark arrives, system shutsdown. So now I assume its safe to say its not software related.

Having the Gigabyte z87x-ud3h, I'm fortunate to have a duel BIOS, so I flick the switch and change over to my backup BIOS. Everything seems to work fine, and my pc doesn't shutdown on 30 minute mark. I think then it must be the main bios so I re-flash it and update it to the latest I can but it didn't help and the same thing happens. My PC is relatively new, only about 5 months or more so I the warranty is still valid on my Mobo but I would like to fix this is possible. I'm running on my backup BIOS now and all seems to work but I would like to fix my main and keep this backup BIOS for times like this.

My specs are:

CPU - i5-4670k
Mobo - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
RAM - 8GB Patriot 1600mhz
GPU - GTX 570
PSU - Thermaltake Litepower 650W

Thanks for any assistance.

Solution
Also runs out of idea here..
stress testing using backup BIOS runs fine,
stress testing using main BIOS has problem..
this rules out psu or other component problems

it could be the main bios chip it self got damaged during the blackout...
Anyways wait for the update with new board...

rdc85

Honorable
so using default (old) backup bios is fine but not with newer one..

this not happen before..

I would think this is the PSU...
but for that either if u had spare psu to test or try stressing it to full power..

Try run prime95 & furmark (or the heaven/valley) at same time..
it will force the rig at full power..

see if it also hit 30min mark or sooner?
if it sooner then most likely it's the psu

edit: other possibility some component on board that fried (or symptom of failing)
and don't forget monitor the temp..

hezzie777

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

Yes using my main bios, the problem persists but using my backup bios everything is fine.

I've run prime95 and several other programs at once and it doesn't effect the 30 minute timer. Also because everything runs fine on my backup bios I think it might be safe to assume my PSU is fine. I'm going to try re-flash my main bios with a different version again and see if that helps.

My temps are all good and they haven't spiked at all. A fried component is worrying but that might be the cause.

hezzie777

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

I tried updating the bios and it looks completely different but the effect remains the same. I'm running out of ideas at this point but I think if its still under warranty, I should get it replaced.

rdc85

Honorable
Also runs out of idea here..
stress testing using backup BIOS runs fine,
stress testing using main BIOS has problem..
this rules out psu or other component problems

it could be the main bios chip it self got damaged during the blackout...
Anyways wait for the update with new board...

Solution