Shuttle Introduces XPC Nano Series Of Mini PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Isn't the "conventional" HDD size actually the 3.5-inch size? And since this drive slot only supports drives up to 7mm thick, it's completely unconventional since most laptop-oriented HDDs are 9.5mm thick.

You should have simply stated that it has a 2.5" drive bay that supports SSDs and thin HDDs up to 7mm thick and called it a day...

Isn't the "conventional" HDD size actually the 3.5-inch size? And since this drive slot only supports drives up to 7mm thick, it's completely unconventional since most laptop-oriented HDDs are 9.5mm thick.

You should have simply stated that it has a 2.5" drive bay that supports SSDs and thin HDDs up to 7mm thick and called it a day...

There are two conventional HDD sizes, 3.5-inch is the conventional desktop size and 2.5-inch is the conventional laptop size. I don't think anyone miss understood this. A lot of laptop hard drives are 7 mm thick as well, that isn't an uncommon size for a 2.5-inch drive. They do range in thickness, but 7 mm is one of the more common measurements for laptop hard drives and SSDs.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No, not 'a lot' of laptop drives are 7mm thick. Seagate's Momentus Thin and Hitachi's Z5K lineups come to my mind, along with a handful of low-capacity (500GB and below), outdated WD Blue & Black models.

The majority of 2.5-inch HDDs on the market are 9.5mm thick.

Seriously? Okay, just for fun lets go to the website of a major tech retailer and look at their 2.5-inch HDDs.
http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Internal-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-380?Tid=167524

Newegg carries 2.5-inch drives in five different heights, and tells you exactly how many are each height. Not all of the drives are listed, but roughly 300 of them are. Of those drives they break up like this:

5 mm: 6
7 mm: 80
9 mm: 4
9.5 mm: 119
15 mm: 88

So going by this there are two 7 mm drives for every three 9.5 mm drive listed on Newegg. These drives have been around for several years now, so I don't understand why you are having such a hard time accepting that 7 mm 2.5-inch HDDs are common.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'm glad you used Newegg as you did. By those numbers, 26.9-percent measure 7mm-thick while 40-percent measure 9.5mm. In total, 71-percent of all 2.5" HDDs on Newegg are thicker than 7mm.

Obviously, Newegg also sells 3.5" drives. If you check, there are 2788 different ones available. That tells me that 3.5" is the common, or to reuse your word, conventional size. And if we were to combine all 2.5" and 3.5" drives to see what percentage of available HDDs are 7mm-thick, we'd find that number to be a paltry 2.5-percent.

I chose my wording wisely. The majority of 2.5" drives are in fact 9.5mm thick, and 2.5" is not the most common or conventional HDD size.

My argument was in regard to your word choice. As a former editor here, I found them poorly chosen and offered what I felt was a more acceptable alternative. You failed to qualify the term conventional with the word laptop prior to choosing to use it. But do continue looking at the numbers...the math doesn't lie.

RealBeast

Titan
You are completely wrong, and you do not seem to keep up with modern computer equipment. 7mm 2.5 inch drive are the new normal as laptops have gotten much thinner than in the past.

The article states "As these are designed to be compact systems, HDDs or SSDs used in the XPC Nano cannot be thicker than 7 mm." I see no reference to "conventional" drives; am I missing something? In any case, one of the most useful lessons I ever learned from a case studies course was that it is never useful to say what somebody "should have" done; it is only useful to figure out why they did what they did.
It looks like a mountain is being made out a molehill here. Chill pills all around please?

Status
Not open for further replies.