Shuttle Launches Tiny Gaming Nano X1 PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Aside from the out of the box connectivity, I don't see the point in this over a comparably equipped gaming laptop. Then you can take it with you and it has a screen, and they seem to be much cheaper.

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Overpriced junk. You can build a more powerful system for less if you dont need it to be fanless. I cringe when I see a "gaming" PC with anything less than a GTX1080, too. A 1060 is downright laughable!

Gazabi

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

I cringed when I saw your comment saying you needed a 1080 in your PC to be considered a gaming PC. A 1060 level card is enough for many people who are fine with 1080p gaming, which is probably the majority of PC gamers out there. Though I do agree with you with this being overpriced.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
It's cool and has a market I'm sure but I posted an ITX build very similar to the $1500 Shuttle X1 i5 Pro in the Toms $750 build contest category.

InvalidError

Titan

Even a 1050 can go a long way for gaming when you don't care about setting everything to Ultra 4k. In most games, the last one or two stops in graphics details cost a heck of a lot of GPU power for relatively small visual quality gains.

When I'm actually playing a game instead of standing still to examine pixels with a magnifying glass, I can't be bothered with the difference between medium and high/ultra in most cases, can't really notice it while moving.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
FWIW, the GTX 1060 in this is going to perform like a 1060-equipped laptop - not a desktop 1060 card. In other words, the clocks will be a fair bit lower.

This is a lot to pay/sacrifice for being fanless. But, if somebody really needs/wants fanless, then I think it compares pretty well with other fanless PCs we've seen.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
This may just be me, but did anyone notice in the 4th picture, the one of the back of the unit, that the USB C connector is off center and that the HDMI port next to it has the internal part at a weird angle? That is just enough for me to start questioning build quality.

Otherwise it seems like a solid system, if a little pricey. Then again, they probably have to make up engineering costs for that passive cooling system.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting observation, it actually looks broken since the metal seems to be lined up properly. I imagine the singular HDMI port is coming from the CPU, the rest from the GPU.

These are marketing photos, so that might be a prototype or a unit that has just made the rounds and was damaged by a reviewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.