[SOLVED] Shuttle XH61V CPU TDP Upgrade Query

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
Hi All
Just wondering if someone can give me some advice on upgrading the CPU in my Shuttle XH61V Mini ITX PC.
I bought this PC for the sole purpose of using the Windows 10 Xbox Console Companion app to stream the Xbox that is in my living room to the bedroom. I tried streaming the Xbox with the current CPU installed, which is an i3-3240, and the results were far from perfect.

The Xbox is connected to my home network via ethernet, through my main router which is an Asus RT-AC88U, and the Shuttle PC is connected via ethernet to my access point being an Asus RT-AC68U (there is a hardwired ethernet connection between the AC88U and AC68U). As my home network should be more than adequate to cope with the Xbox streaming demands, my only conclusion was the CPU in the Shuttle might not be man enough for the job.

The motherboard in the Shuttle uses Intel Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge 65W CPUs, and I found a cheap i5-2500k that I thought might be worth a try. I bought the 2500k, but stupid me didn't check the TDP ratings of the 2500k which is rated at 95W.

My query is whether it would be safe to use the 2500k in my Shuttle for the purpose of streaming my Xbox, or should I return it and get a CPU whose TDP is more compatible with the Shuttle?

As I said before the Shuttle will only be used for streaming my Xbox using the console companion app, and perhaps some web browsing now and again at a push.

Any thoughts, comments and advice would be really appreciated.

Solution
Thank you for the details. Sure makes researching the potential solutions easier. :)

I wouldn't install the 2500k as there may simply not be enough power. Plus, I think it would simply not boot.

But first, I would just take a long ethernet cord and confirm that it is going to have the same problems with a hardwired connection because if wireless bandwidth is the issue, then that's a different problem to solve.

The i5-2500s would be better in terms of cores than the i3-3240 since it is a true 4 core, and even better would be the i5-3470 or i5-3470s if you could run either of these. But these are 10% improvements at best so if it truly is a cpu issue, you're going to need to completely overhaul the shuttle with some newer...
Thank you for the details. Sure makes researching the potential solutions easier. :)

I wouldn't install the 2500k as there may simply not be enough power. Plus, I think it would simply not boot.

But first, I would just take a long ethernet cord and confirm that it is going to have the same problems with a hardwired connection because if wireless bandwidth is the issue, then that's a different problem to solve.

The i5-2500s would be better in terms of cores than the i3-3240 since it is a true 4 core, and even better would be the i5-3470 or i5-3470s if you could run either of these. But these are 10% improvements at best so if it truly is a cpu issue, you're going to need to completely overhaul the shuttle with some newer generation stuff.

Reactions: PAULO40
Solution

PAULO40

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013

The i5-2500s would be better in terms of cores than the i3-3240 since it is a true 4 core, and even better would be the i5-3470 or i5-3470s if you could run either of these. But these are 10% improvements at best so if it truly is a cpu issue, you're going to need to completely overhaul the shuttle with some newer generation stuff.
Many thanks for the reply, really helpful info there, I appreciate it.

I already had the same thought concerning the 2500k and have decided to return it immediately. For the same price I found an i5-3550S. On top of that I've installed a SSD instead of a HDD, hoping that might give it some extra performance, as for the RAM it already has the maximum compatible RAM installed so there really isn't much more I can uopgrade on it.

I'll be starting it up in a bit, just to make sure it all works fine, then I'll give it a lengthy test with Xbox app streaming in the next couple of days and see what happens. I'll update thisthread with my findings.

Many thanks again for your help and advice.