Shuttle's Stylish New X27 Makes an Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hrm,

So if I'm to understand this correctly, it's completely gimped and probably costs a mint. What's the point of that? A pretty box that hums? It can only barely watch a DVD? That's pointless. This is 2008. It should do a hell of a lot more than a little DVD or some office software.

Review something worth actually looking at?

Very best,

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]malveaux[/nom]Review something worth actually looking at?[/citation]
This isn't a review, far from it. If you read the first line, it says "sneak peek", ie. not a review. We didn't get this PC, we got information and pictures. Personally I like the look of it, but would I buy it? No, it would be too slow for me. But some people will buy it for one reason or another. Maybe because it has Atom and Atom is new?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
It's good to know what's out there, so this review does serve a purpose.

I'm just personally bored with all the Atom-based stuff rolling out. Maybe a lot of us readers are.
It's a barely-capable CPU paired with an older chipset that Intel was too lazy to update. I'm not excited about it going into notebooks or low-powered desktops, even though those are areas interesting to me.
Maybe it's just the coverage saturation. What else is out there that I should look at?

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Maybe it's just the coverage saturation.[/citation]
Atom is the R600 of the CPU world. Lots of coverage, lots of hype. Just like R600 it doesn't really live up to its hype, at least not in the desktop market. Not that it is really designed for the desktop anyway.

Key difference between Atom and R600: Atom doesn't need its own power plant.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I think Dell's Studio Hybrid desktop is perfect for this market. It's just as small and good-looking from what I can tell, its much more widely available, and stands a chance of answering calls for tech support. It's amazing to think that Dell is getting away with what the Mac Mini couldn't, although Dell has the advantage of offering an affordable combo with monitor etc. included. That said, its still underpowered, under-whelming, and you might as well just get a laptop, because that's essentially whats inside the box- laptop hardware.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]waffle911[/nom]I think Dell's Studio Hybrid desktop is perfect for this market. It's just as small and good-looking from what I can tell, its much more widely available, and stands a chance of answering calls for tech support. ... That said, its still underpowered, under-whelming, and you might as well just get a laptop, because that's essentially whats inside the box- laptop hardware.[/citation]
Of course, with the Hybrid Studio or the Mac Mini, you can still do multi-tasking without strangling the processor. And the Dell at least got an EPEAT Gold rating, for what that's worth.

@nvalhala: Yeah, I am interested in the Nano. Even though it draws more power, it also outperforms the Atom in most tests, and by some measures has better performance-per-watt. I'd like to see it make some more prominent appearances in North America, especially in low-cost computers. The extra performance should make it more tolerable than the Atom.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
You should not compare the Atom to the Via Nano - which has not stopped people from trying. Nano is not available yet, and nobody knows how much it will cost. When it comes to market, then you can compare them.

Alien_959

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Hmmmm. Nice design, low power – low performance. I am not an AMD/ATI fan but still Sempron 1100LE CPU and HD 3200 IGP would be a nice platform if someone makes it in small factor.
As far as I know AMD CPU consumes 8 watts and the chipset is very economical too. Would be nice to have more options in small factor PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS