SiBEAM Snap And WiGig Wave Goodbye To Physical Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
you've must of missed the "1 cm range" part for the tech this article was talking about.

Shouldn't be going though your head if you had it sitting on a table or something like that (unless your placing it on your head.... then you might want to reconsider where your placing your phone at...)

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
1cm?! that sounds terrible versus WiGig.

Wireless charging renders this less useful as low power advantage will be negligible.

Probably useful for specialized use in industries which I have no idea yet.

Ayu Natsume

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
1cm is good for NFC-like uses -- you don't want to pass around your ehem files to another nearby laptop eh. That SiBeam flashdrive shouldn't randomly connect to another device just because it got within range -- remember, its vouching on physical security just like the wired bus its supplementing.

Its supposed to act like a 'wireless wired' connection -- the devices are fooled into thinking they are connected physically but IRL its wireless.

I'd like something like this. Think about just throwing your flashdrives and harddrives and cellphones and USB hardware key dongles and whatnot into a basket -- no need to even waste your time connecting them! I mean, this technically supercedes USB Type C's reversible connector and everything by not even having to plug anything in (except perhaps adapters.) Its similar to the old MS Surface's (the table top computer) ability to use phones that are put on top of it. The phones would act like as if they were connected -- in SiBeam's case, virtually physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.