Sibling Dropped Credit Card Inside PC

Jul 6, 2018
My sibling was being careless and dropped a credit card in my PC since I leave it open. It still boots and everything, but I've noticed a decrease in performance.. Any correlation..?

Solution
Magnetic coating is NOT conductive. Conductive magnetic coating would have caused failures in recording devices from their inception if that were the case. The extremely high resistance of the coating is intentional. Most ferrous material is altered chemically to be non-conductive. Magnetic properties determine the usefulness of materials - not conductivity. Iron (good conductor) is altered to become iron oxide (bad conductor) or chrome is altered to be chromium oxide.

I would certainly attempt to remove the card from the PC - but not because of of a 'shorting' hazard.
The only two things I can think that the CC would do is....it could possibly short something....but I find this unlikely as I think the odds of it ending up somewhere where it would short something are slim. Also...I think that if it shorted something....it wouldn't just slow your PC....I think you would have bigger problems.

OR...it could be blocking the airflow and causing something to heat up which could reduce performance.

Why not just remove the CC?

Jul 6, 2018

Did remove cc.

Jul 6, 2018

Yeah, I removed it. Maybe my performance issues are just completely unrelated.

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Magnetic coating is NOT conductive. Conductive magnetic coating would have caused failures in recording devices from their inception if that were the case. The extremely high resistance of the coating is intentional. Most ferrous material is altered chemically to be non-conductive. Magnetic properties determine the usefulness of materials - not conductivity. Iron (good conductor) is altered to become iron oxide (bad conductor) or chrome is altered to be chromium oxide.

I would certainly attempt to remove the card from the PC - but not because of of a 'shorting' hazard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS