Sick of NVIDIA - I have an AMD question

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
I need to know if there are issues with AMD Vega cards where the boot process is not completed, or visible. See below for the issues I've had.

Planning on the latest AMD Vega GPU and an LG 32UD99-W monitor.

This is why:

I have an EVGA 1080 Ti and I had a Samsung U32D970Q Monitor which gave me headaches because it would not boot properly to Windows 10 - I read there were power units defective in the monitor.

I went and bought a Dell UP3216Q, and guess what? The same damned thing is happening.

If I'm in Windows and I try to restart it may or may not actually do it. I'll see the BIOS screen and then a black screen. If I shut down and wait and then try to start Windows, it may or may not boot all the way. This happened with both monitors.

I actually bought the 1080 Ti because I had a 980 doing the same thing - I thought the 980 wasn't powerful enough for the Samsung.

Yes, I reinstalled Windows and this happened without any programs installed, just the NVIDIA drivers. Yes, I have the absolute best DP cable. Yes, I bought a new motherboard and the same damned thing happened again. Yes, I bought a new, more powerful PSU.

I have been scouring the internet for months looking for a solution but no dice/. I did find TONS of links where bunches of people had the same issues.

Totally fed up with NVIDIA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
I would go out and by the CHEAPEST Nvidia/AMD Card you can find and test those and see if you have the same issue.

I use to have weird booting issues with my AMD 8320 thinking it was the Mobo as my dad's PC is almost the same except for one thing. I had a Corsair H100 and he had a H60. The difference? Mine had a USB plug header to control it. I found out that the USB header it was in was causing the the almost 30 second delay from hitting the power button, to the post beep/screen. Now it isn't the same as your issue but just putting out that it COULD be something else still!

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018

Frankly, I've been messing around with this on and off for so long that I don't think I can get an RMA. Anyway, I rather think I'd like the satisfaction of duct taping M80's around my $1,400 video card that has given me such grief and blow it to kingdom come.

Do you pinkie swear, absolutely pinky swear, that no such issues exist with AMD video cards?

I have become leery of internet advice despite the fact that it's the only place where I MIGHT find an answer - Tom's being one of the best places to find good advice. ;)

May 21, 2018
An RMA for the 180ti or a swap to vega won't help you here if you also had problems with a 980. More than likely its not a GPU problem from what you have described. As to what could be causing it I have no idea. Thats a very strange issue. How are you able to get into Windows as you say the problem occurs when you do a restart? Is it just a gamble as to whether you get Windows or not?

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
Yes, Gamble is a good description.

Basically, as far as I can tell, NVIDIA boards don't play well with 4K monitors. Something about timing on the DisplayPort channel.

I have read so many complaints and solutions that they blur in my mind.

This whole thing started when I upgraded to the Samsung 32" 4K monitor and had issues, I researched the internet and found wrong conclusions and so I bought the Dell, but I still had the same issue. Thinking, OK maybe the MOBO & CPU and memory - I upgraded all of it.

Still the same problem.

Too much time and money wasted - no longer interested in troubleshooting this.

Look up this problem in Google, I've found the same issue going back to 2016. None of the solutions offered have been worth the pixels that display them - at least not for me.

Think about this, I've replaced:

The motherboard
The monitor
The motherboard
The memory
The video card
The PSU
The memory
Windows Installation

The only consistent this in all this is the video board and NVIDIA drivers.

I've used DDU so many times I can do it in my sleep.

I would go out and by the CHEAPEST Nvidia/AMD Card you can find and test those and see if you have the same issue.

I use to have weird booting issues with my AMD 8320 thinking it was the Mobo as my dad's PC is almost the same except for one thing. I had a Corsair H100 and he had a H60. The difference? Mine had a USB plug header to control it. I found out that the USB header it was in was causing the the almost 30 second delay from hitting the power button, to the post beep/screen. Now it isn't the same as your issue but just putting out that it COULD be something else still!

Solution
May 21, 2018
Looks like AMD also has some problems at 4K though on the older RX480, can't find anything on the newer cards. https://community.amd.com/thread/205187
You've probably already tried it but what about HDMI? Could just be a DP issue. Also try lowering the resolution and/or frame rate in windows to see if its just a 4K 60hz thing. Also like drtweak said, could still not be a GPU issue. Weird stuff can cause these kinds of issues. Its possible your case could be shorting something or have a bad header. Getting AMD wouldn't necessarily solve your problems if its not a GPU issue.

I have an EVGA 1080 Ti and I had a Samsung U32D970Q Monitor which gave me headaches because it would not boot properly to Windows 10 - I read there were power units defective in the monitor.

I went and bought a Dell UP3216Q, and guess what? The same damned thing is happening.
The problem here does not lie between the monitor and the GPU but something in a computer.

When monitor mention lost / no signal: it means the GPU is not sending a signal but could be cause by other problem (bad psu shut down because not suplying enough power, CPU / GPU overheating and computer shut down, windows corrupted, drivers, games ect. )

If I'm in Windows and I try to restart it may or may not actually do it. I'll see the BIOS screen and then a black screen. If I shut down and wait and then try to start Windows, it may or may not boot all the way. This happened with both monitors.

The boot is prevented by other problem(s)

I actually bought the 1080 Ti because I had a 980 doing the same thing - I thought the 980 wasn't powerful enough for the Samsung.

The GPU work with any monitor, no relation whatsoever . The only way the GPU can be too weak is running games properly at expected resolution.

Yes, I reinstalled Windows and this happened without any programs installed, just the NVIDIA drivers. Yes, I have the absolute best DP cable. Yes, I bought a new motherboard and the same damned thing happened again. Yes, I bought a new, more powerful PSU.
You rules out that windows and drivers are not the problem. So hardware is: What brand and wattage is the PSU? a 1080 ti needs a good PSU. A good branded 550 -600 watt is recomended

What are the full details of you computers ?
Anything overclocked ? how old are the components, what's the health of the hard drive?
Getting another videocard most likely will cause the same problem.

Looking at that thread... What generation DP cable are you using? Maybe get a new high quality one?

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
AHA. I was ready to be besties with Finstar, and here we have a similar issue with AMD. Soooo disappointed.

Not sure how similar though - I'll have to think about this since I'm not exactly sure what your situation was.

With my problem, as far as I can gather, there is a sync issue with the monitor expecting to see a signal within a specific time and the video board also expecting some response from the monitor during boot up.

Again, I'm no expert, I'm relying on the thing that made the most sense to me from the plethora of stuff I found on the internet.

I will think about it.

Thanks for the response.

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
Finstar, you broke my heart. You )by not saying no) promised there were no AMD issues.

My cable is from Amazon: Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable 6 Feet - 4K Resolution Ready

I don't know if it's cool to post links, so I won't.

The blurb from Amaxon:

Convenient cable directly connects a DisplayPort (DP, DP++, DisplayPort++) equipped computer to a HD monitor or projector with DisplayPort input
Transmits high definition audio and video from your computer to a monitor for video streaming or gaming; Connect and configure your monitor for an Extended Desktop or Mirrored Displays
Supports video resolutions up to 4K (3840x2160, Ultra HD) and 1080P (Full HD), and flawless audio pass-thru for uncompressed digital 7.1, 5.1 or 2 channels
Gold-plated connectors, bare copper conductors, and foil & braid shielding combine together to provide both superior cable performance and reliable connectivity
DisplayPort connector with latches provides a secure connection with a release button that must be depressed before unplugging

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
Wow. This is great, all the responses.

@dextermat

My NEW system:

Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus X hero WIFi
CPU: Core i7-8700 Coffe Lake
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 850 G2 Gold
SSD: Samsung SSD
RAM: Corsair (can't find the specs right now)
Windows 10 x64 Pro

I reinstalled Windows from scratch, no programs installed, just the latest NVIDIA drivers and I still get the same results.

Check this link, it's all about NVIDIA and DP ports - almost all the links I've discovered dealt with this: DisplayPort

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1000766/can-t-figure-why-the-gtx-1080-ti-does-not-work-in-display-port-configuration-/?offset=17

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
Well, this a surprise.

drtweak made some suggestions

"I would go out and by the CHEAPEST Nvidia/AMD Card you can find and test those and see if you have the same issue.

I use to have weird booting issues with my AMD 8320 thinking it was the Mobo as my dad's PC is almost the same except for one thing. I had a Corsair H100 and he had a H60. The difference? Mine had a USB plug header to control it. I found out that the USB header it was in was causing the the almost 30 second delay from hitting the power button, to the post beep/screen. Now it isn't the same as your issue but just putting out that it COULD be something else still!"

And this gave me a different way to go - still not sure what he meant, but both my monitors had USB passthrough, which I never imagined would affect anything with the video card....but, both the monitors mentioned above had USB passthrough (I think it's a passtrough - I could be wrog), but being the good tester I am, I disconnected that USB to the monitor....And, I was able to reboot 10x in a row (no problems) and power down 10x in a row (no problem)

I'm gobsmacked.

I'll do further tests but this has been the best I've seen in a long while.

drtweak, do you want to be besties? The heck with that Finstar guy with his lying ways.

;) ;)

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
I'm still astounded.

I again rebooted 10 times and shut down and restarted 10 times.

This worked every time!!

Maybe a bit premature, I have nothing installed besides Windows 10 - but DAMN this is my best result so far.

Thanks for the info drtweak - you are the man.

Dude. USB. You have NO IDEA HOW ($*%&^# Problematic it can be! I do IT for a living for almost 9 years now and double that as a hobby. Between PC's trying to boot from USB Devices, the Wrong USB Device (just did this on Friday trying to boot from a USB device thinking WTF? my drive is good! only to forget there was a USB backup drive plugged in it was trying to boot from XD) To my issue, to many other issues. USB is great when it doesn't get in the way haha.

I would check maybe your boot order? I always DISABLE everything EXCEPT for your boot drive. I had this issue with my almost 8 year old Dell 24 inch that has a USB hub + Card reader. I had one PC that i had plugged it into and couldn't get the damn thing to boot properly until i saw it was trying to boot form the Freaking SD Card on the monitor!!! Once i set to the HDD only I was golden.

With all that being said.

Q5NnBt9.png

Hey you can never have enough friends!

My friends just call me Tweak or DrT lmao. And i get the name from actually all 3 definitions of tweak. Just the 3rd without the use of any drugs. I was just naturally, and still can be, super hyper for no reason XD