Side case fan VS plastic funnel

shakky

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Hi guys

I'm just working on the air flow configuration of my case at the moment. Just wondering if it would be more beneficial to remove the plastic funnel directing air onto my CPU and replace it with a side intake fan. I actually just put in my first side fan just below it, which has had good impact on temps, and now i'm thinking maybe get rid of the plastic tube and put in another.

I don't have any dire temp issues, but have just installed crossfire and might be looking at overclocking GPU/CPU in the near future so just want to be as cool as possible. So is this plastic tube redundant? Or does it have an advantage over a side intake fan? (can really only screw in one or the other).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Side case fans are okay but really not needed if you already have a decent fan/heatsink for your cpu, what cpu do you have? so many of the stock/factory heatsinks are kinda crappy, I never did really like the the heat-sink with fan directly mounted on top design... I don't think its as efficient as a side fan/heatsink design. well that and the former seemed to always had a small heatsink and no copper cooling pipes.... good example is some of the really crappy AM3 heatsinks with no copper pipes....I noticed a huge improvement in getting rid of them and putting on a dual side mounted fan/heatsink with copper pipes, vastly improved design. that and some of the side fan/heatsinks are just MASSIVE and really improves cooling.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Side case fans are okay but really not needed if you already have a decent fan/heatsink for your cpu, what cpu do you have? so many of the stock/factory heatsinks are kinda crappy, I never did really like the the heat-sink with fan directly mounted on top design... I don't think its as efficient as a side fan/heatsink design. well that and the former seemed to always had a small heatsink and no copper cooling pipes.... good example is some of the really crappy AM3 heatsinks with no copper pipes....I noticed a huge improvement in getting rid of them and putting on a dual side mounted fan/heatsink with copper pipes, vastly improved design. that and some of the side fan/heatsinks are just MASSIVE and really improves cooling.

Solution

shakky

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
thanks for your reply. i have an i3 530 with stock cooling. but my question was really more about the necessity of the plastic funnel on the side of the case and whether it is more beneficial than a side fan?