Question Side mounted cable connections

Puffnstuff

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Right now the only PS I see in this configuration is the Corsair RM switch series which does not have dedicated 12vhpwr connectors to communicate with the rtx 4k series of cards. Has anyone seen any announcements from other manufacturers about releasing anything like it in the near future?

Currently I'm using an evga supernova 1300w g2 and the octopus adapter that came with my 4090 so its not starved for power in any way so I can wait but I would like to have the side mounted connectors in a smart PS along with reduced cable clutter in my glass sided case.

I have not seen indications from any other manufacturers that they intend to use the Switch configuration and I would not be surprised if we don't see it from anybody other than Corsair since there might be patent rights involved with what might be considered to be a proprietary modular design.

More importantly though the Shift DOES have both ATX 3.0 and PCIe 5.0 compliance WITH the 12vhpwr connector according to Corsair.

The RMx SHIFT Series’ repositioned side panel (patent-pending) gives you a clear view and better access to all modular micro-fit connections, making connecting and maintaining your cables a breeze. Not only does this make attaching and detaching cables easy, it also means they won’t be bent or twisted as much to reach the connectors, resulting in less strain and a cleaner build.

Every model of RMx SHIFT is ATX 3.0 certified and PCIe 5.0 compliant for powering the latest cutting-edge systems, helping to improve overall system performance and reliability while providing the power needed to operate at the highest levels. With an included high-quality PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR GPU cable, the RMx SHIFT Series is ready for use with modern graphics cards such as the NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 40 Series.

Looking at the included cable listings for these models, it absolutely shows a twin PCIe to 12vhpwr 16 pin (12+4) cable in the list of cables and does not designate it as any kind of adapter like other Corsair models have done.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Fully-Modular-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020253-NA

The 12vhpwr cable is native and plugs into the modular board. It does not plug into any of the 6+2 PCIe cables.

5gKdLOS.jpg

Puffnstuff

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Their cable does indeed leech off two pcie connectors on the PS with no data pins which is why I'm in search of a true pcie 5 power supply with side mounted connectors that adhere to the intel spec.