Side panel gets hot

ddua8815

Honorable
Sep 2, 2017
Hello, I have a GTX 980 g1 gaming in my Corsair carbide 88r and my window side panel gets hot while gaming so I wanted to know if it's fine
Thank you!

Solution
I have a MSI GTX 1080 and even when i'm playing a game at either 60 or 144fps the card will be at 60-70C and be radiating heat. The side panels gets a bit warm in the top corner but nothing to worry about really unless it burning hot to touch.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
the clear plastic/glass panel of the case is getting hot? not just 'warm' ?

then i suggest the airflow through your case is not good .... check existing case fans, remove obstructions, add case fans.

and make sure you have a 'river' of airflow .... as it it all moves from one end to another end, too often novice builders will point all the fans inwards .... and leave no extraction route.

ddua8815

Honorable
Sep 2, 2017

It's getting hot, not to hot to touch and it's getting hot just in the area of the GPU (my CPU is water cooled)
And for the airflow, I have pretty good cable management and 2 intakes+ 1 exhaust

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
the screen is close to the gpu? that would be radiant heat transfer, better airflow would increase heat disipation from your screen.

when i say airflow, i dont mean volume of air, i mean direction. if the airflow isnt passing over the gpu area, then the heat can only goto your screen. but if theres a nice breeze over the gpu, all that heat will be taken away.

Ye in summer this happens to me in the UK, of all places. Once i got a decent CPU cooler (Dark Rock 3) and a better rear case fan the airflow was greatly improved.

The case is metal and is a conduit for heat so expect the side panel to get a tad warm/hot as most GPU can go anywhere from 50-80C under load. Its also why cases creak when you turn your pc off as the case is cooling down, metals shrinking and expanding.

Also give your pc room to breath as sticking it under a desk or pushed against a wall isn't going to help, as it rather tight down there for air to flow.

ddua8815

Honorable
Sep 2, 2017

Ok then I'll try fob put the better fan in front of the GPU.
I can feel the heat only when I touch it by the way

I have a MSI GTX 1080 and even when i'm playing a game at either 60 or 144fps the card will be at 60-70C and be radiating heat. The side panels gets a bit warm in the top corner but nothing to worry about really unless it burning hot to touch.

Solution

ddua8815

Honorable
Sep 2, 2017

So it's fine! Thanks!!
It's hot but I can easily touch as long as I want